Thread: Fall Spawn

Default Fall Spawn

How will this falls heavy rains and flooding effect this years brown and speck spawns ?

I wondered the same thing just yesterday. It probably won’t help the eggs just “laid”.

But, To make lemonade out of lemons.... when the #’s of fish drop (floods, drought, warm water) the average size seems to increase. I’m thinking less competition for the available food in the streams.

So, get your gear ready for a potentially awesome year next year for bigger browns!

fishermen by nature are optimists!!!

jim Parks

The spawn for this year is probably mostly shot. Matt Kulp believes that recruitment from the spawn begins to be impacted at flows of around 1,000 cfs on Little River. We just went MUCH higher than that so this year's age class of brook and brown trout is probably going to be lacking moving forward. That isn't all bad though as Grampus shared!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Flood and drought are really the only things that seem to hurt their populations (I guess you could throw wildfire in there now) so it is certainly possible that this year was rough on em. However smoky mountain trout are tough! They’ve seen some things...........