Thread: Big Browns...... Some “Secrets”

Default Big Browns...... Some “Secrets”

Mark Your Calendar... Groundhog Day

Over the past few years, I’ve posted a few photos of some of the larger browns that I’ve caught in the Park. A lot of the success I’ve had over the years has come from using a few simple patterns that have been around for many years and, EASY TO TIE!! I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not a great fly tier (Gary Troutman will be in on had for that part)

So, on February 2nd, I’ll be sharing those patterns I learned to tie over 40 years ago that work as well today as they did back then. Admittedly, I’m a little better at using them now. I’ve even been collecting a database of every trip I’ve taken since 1989, and THESE FLIES CONTINUE TO WORK! Did I say they’re easy to tie?

So, where does the “Big Browns” come in? In the past 3 years, I have used EACH PATTERN to catch at least 1 brown 18” or longer. In addition to the old patterns, I will be tying 2 others that I developed years ago. One, I’ve only shown to a couple of people since tying it in the mid 80’s. It’s first use resulted in a broken line when a huge brown gulped it on a July morning just above the Sinks. My largest this year, a 23” Brown, was caught on it in August.

So, I hope you’ll stop by Little River Outfitters between 10 & 2 and allow me to share a bit of my experience on a few old patterns. If I can make fly fishing a little easier
    for someone, the day will have been a success! Did I say they’re Easy To Tie?

Grampus
    Jim Parks
    Last edited by Grampus; 12-30-2018 at 09:02 PM.

I'm looking forward to it! Jim and I have fished together since the mid 90s. He is a great fly fisherman and really has a knack for finding big browns. I hope everyone gets to come up to LRO on Feb 2 to watch Jim tie some of his patterns. Few have seen some of them, as they aren't sold in fly shops anymore if ever. I plan on tying in the shop that day also, so if your interested in warmwater fly patterns for Smallmouth and panfish, I will be tying some at the other table. I will have some info on the Float trips that Josh and I offer at Frontier Anglers TN for Smallmouth and Trout.

Gary Troutman

Hate I missed it guys. Was really looking forward to seeing some of your patterns and techniques jim. All this rain has got us so behind at work, and I couldn't get off. Please post if you guys are doing anymore tying anywhere. Thanks

Hello folks. It had been awhile since I attended a fly tying event, but I had the opportunity to see Jim Parks tie on Saturday. It was great watching a former Cocke Countian do some serious tying as well as listen to the many years worth of stories that have accumulated through the years amongst all who have been dedicated to this sport. My thanks to Jim and Little River Outfitters for providing this event.

Ginseng Man
    Hugh Hartsell

Thanks to everyone who stopped by. I didn't expect a lot of people, but a few were already there waiting when I arrived at 9:30 and it seemed there were always several around with some staying over an hour. I'd never given a fly-tying demo before and sorta dreaded tying for 4 straight hours, but time FLEW by! My first look at the clock revealed I'd been there over 2 1/2 hours. I enjoyed the conversation and things shared and learned quite a bit myself. There's a lot of nice people in this area hungry for ideas and a strong passion for trout in the Smokies. Anyone there who saw the Guinea Fly that has been so effective for me as a Spring pattern, let me know if you use it and have success (or not) on it. I hope so! We never did arrive at a conclusion to what it's supposed to imitate, other than a Snickers Bar!

Thanks goes out to LRO for giving me the opportunity to share.

Grampus
    Jim Parks

Hey Jim, it was a pleasure meeting you and learning about the Guinea fly. Will let you know how it performs for me.
    Joe

Joe, if you get a good approach and cast, I think (and hope) you'll be surprised and rewarded! Last spring, I saw one at a tail out and was just below the shoals at the tail out keeping my wake out of the pool. I almost didn't see it because I was probably only 10 ft from it at most. Fortunately, I was about 4 o'clock from it's position and out of sight. A perfect cast a few feet in front of it and I don't recall seeing it move, but I set the hook. The year before, I was fishing a rock ledge with a slight overhang. There was a current of water flowing against the rock about 3 ft deep. I bet I made 20 casts, but I knew I wasn't getting under the small overhang. I'd either cast short, away from the wall, or long and my fly would ricochet off the rock and about a foot away. Finally, I got the perfect cast and that BIG OLE mouth came up after it. Both were 21" browns. I went back to the 2017 pool a few weeks later and it looked like someone caught that one and gutted it (SAD). But that's their right. I had photos of those two there Saturday.

Remember to weight it and don't be shy. I tie it on a #8 2x hook with weight wrapped around the shank. Gotta get it down. In the Spring, you can get by with a good 4x tippet. Pick that rod tip up and watch for the twitch, set the hook and take the fight to it! Try to stay below it and make it fight the current while hopefully avoiding snags.

Good Luck
    Jim Parks