Thread: January 05, 2019 Middle Prong during high water.

Default January 05, 2019 Middle Prong during high water.

On Saturday, I planned on heading to LRO to watch Dave and Melissa Harrell tie flies. Well since I was up real early I decided to head to the middle prong and scout out the water (already knowing it was running a little high). Below the Wye the water was stained, As I turned up Tremont road the water looked clearer but still a little on the high side. I thought to myself, I came all this way and I still had time to burn before the demonstrations would begin. So I found a spot that I normally wouldn't fish during the warmer months. I rigged up my rod for chunking heavy wooly buggers. To my amazement, I managed to catch my personal best for the park. This 17 inch rainbow. My second best was a 16.5 inch brown caught 3 years ago on January 3 ,2016.

"Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris

That's a heck of a fish.

Just sayin, New Year's Day Karma works for Kris, great job dude!
    Last edited by bigsur; 01-08-2019 at 10:23 AM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."