Thread: Need help with figuring out what to do with my dad's fly rods

Default Need help with figuring out what to do with my dad's fly rods

So my dad has alzheimer's and have all of his fly rods. I fly fish but mine are limited to a 9' 4 pc and an 8.5' 4 piece.

Here is what I have, and I just need opinions as to whether it's something I need to hang on to, get rid of, or "**** no don't EVER sell that!"

So here's my list:

Fenwick 903-2, 2 piece, 9 foot, 3.5 ounce, mint

Fenwick EF 906, 2 piece, 9 foot, 3.25 ounce, mint

Wards Thorobred bamboo, 4 piece (2 tip options), 9 foot, mint

1931 Heddon bamboo Rod #20, 4 piece (2 tip options), 9 foot, mint

Southbend Double Built bamboo 120-9, 3 piece, 9 foot, mint

Cross Rod bamboo, 4 piece (2 tip options), 9.5 foot rod, good except butt has small dent.

Southbend 27-9 Double Built bamboo, HDH or D, , 4 piece (2 tip options) very good

Southbend 346-9, Double Built bamboo, HDH or D, Comficient grip, very good

Granger Aristocrat, bamboo, 4 pc (2 tip options), 9 foot, 5 ounce, mint

Heddon #14 bamboo, pc (2 tip options), 9 foot, 5 ounce, mint

I really no nothing about the bamboo rods. They are very nice. I fished with one of them once. I appreciate any insight you guys may have.
    Last edited by HuskerFlyFisher; 02-09-2019 at 10:07 PM.

Join the Classic Fly rod forum and ask this there. None of those rods are the highly sought after rods like Gillum, Dickerson or Garrison but there are collectors of Heddon and Granger rods and sounds like your dad has some nice rods.

When trying to value something like old fishing rods, I go to eBay and go to advanced search and check *sold* listings. At least you can usually see what others will pay for the item.

Thanks guys. Does anyone fish with a bamboo pole on a regular basis? Is there an advantage to them over glass or graphite?

I will be soon. A friend just gave me a bamboo rod in great shape. I agree if you are hunting values talk to folks at Classic rod forum.

I agree, the classic fly rod forum is the place to go. You have a nice collection of “trade” rods or blue collar rods. They are not worth a fortune but if they have been well cared for, they will be good fishing rods. The fact that most are in mint condition will add value to those who desire those particular models. You will need to have pictures and there is an appraisal section. The information provided in previous replies is accurate. If you want to post in the classifieds section of the Classic Fly Rod Forum, you will have to post a price with each rod. You may see some similar rods already listed.
    On the other note, I build bamboo rods and fish them, almost, exclusively. I prefer the shorter rods - 7’ to 8.5’ and if I build rods longer than 8’, I now hollow build them. The longer ones tend to be heavier. Fishing bamboo is personal preference but the bamboo rods tend to be a heavier than fiberglass or graphite and the action is generally slower than graphite and more similar to fiberglass. Some people just love the look, feel, and action of bamboo rods.
    I have caught fish up to 25 lbs on my 8.5’ 9 weight and have caught most everything that swims in fresh water on my rods that range from 4 to 8 weight.