Thread: Upcoming trip advice

Default Upcoming trip advice

Hey Folks,

Its been a long time since I've been on the message boards. In the days before kids I made it over to Townsend a few times a year to fish. This weekend I'll be coming into town with my family and the intention to introduce my kids to trout in the park. My past experience was mostly fishing Little River, Middle Prong and West Prong. My kids are 10 and 8 so I want to get them in places that are very easy/safe for them to wade a little bit. We are also looking to incorporate some day hikes into our fishing as well. Any input for some manageable hikes and streams that would be most kid friendly would be greatly appreciated. We aren't the most fit folks, but we've done some hiking so we're comfortable with hikes that would be in the 2-4 mile round trip range. We'll be staying in Townsend, but aren't limited to sticking close by. Anywhere in the park is fair game. Thanks a bunch.

Matt

A lot will depend on the river levels at the time of your visit. That can run from one extreme to another. In my opinion, 10 and 8 are very young to be wading in the park. If the water is the least bit high, no way would I advise that. I would also have another adult with me and not try to supervise two kids by yourself. I would even go a bit further and keep them in very shallow water out of the current. Slips and falls are common in these waters even as experienced with years of wading and of adult stature.

Others may disagree with this, but I have seen what can happen when you get swept downstream.

I should have been more clear. I do not intend to have my kids actively wading at this age. I realize the environment is too dangerous for them to do that. They'll mainly be on the bank or very shallow areas out of current like you stated. I also will not be attempting to supervise both by myself. I know of spots I've been in the past where I can accomplish some of this with them. However, I just wanted others' thoughts about hiking/fishing with kids this age since it is my first time being back to the park with kids. Especially any areas that may be best suited to introducing kids to fishing in the park as safely as possible. I'm asking this under the assumption of "normal" water levels when we're there. Any help is appreciated.

Matt

Imho.....keep up with Byron's fishing report and the weather forecast. Hikes are going to put you at higher elevations and cooler water temps, the fishing will probably be better at the lower elevations which will have warmer water temps. Hope you guys have a fun time and the trout cooperate.

Relatively easy wade opportunities: Walker Camp Prong, WPLP near the visitor's center, portions of Tremont.

Hike above Elkmont. Take time to look at some of the old cabings that have been restored. The Litlle River Trail is a road bed without much grade for several miles and there are ample places to let kids fish. The Roaring Fork Motor trail would be another nice area. Lots of historic structures and you can fish most of the stream without hardly getting your feet wet if that's what you're looking for.
    Last edited by flyman; 04-01-2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali