Thread: What Color Line?

Default What Color Line?

Just wondering if the color of the fly line makes any difference when fishing in the park? Fly lines come in an array of different colors. I am always hearing that one should try to stay hidden from the trout and to try to blend in with the surroundings. Is there a particular color that most fishermen here prefer, or will any color be OK? I have always thought that fish never see your line anyway because of the long leader. But then again, I don't think I would use a bright orange line.
    Joe

I don’t care much for the colors available. I try to consider what the trout would see when the fly line is above the water but in the trouts’ view (High stocking or casting) when it is laying on the water above trout (not ideal but sometimes unavoidable), and in the water when fishing streamers. Taking all that into consideration, I try to find a medium to dark gray or an olive green. I avoid white, yellow, orange.

jim Parks

Quote Originally Posted by Grampus View Post
    I don’t care much for the colors available. I try to consider what the trout would see when the fly line is above the water but in the trouts’ view (High stocking or casting) when it is laying on the water above trout (not ideal but sometimes unavoidable), and in the water when fishing streamers. Taking all that into consideration, I try to find a medium to dark gray or an olive green. I avoid white, yellow, orange.

jim Parks
    Jim, I tend to agree with you. Sometimes I think that the fly line companies make the lines in such bright gaudy colors in order to attract fishermen and thus make more sales. Look at all the brightly colored flies and lures available. They attract more fishermen than fish.
    Joe

Keep your false cast low and to a minimum. learn how to make your leader land softly. Think about where most threats to fish in a stream come from. The bulk come from above. I still use mostly light colored beige, greens, and blues.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I think it's a shame that you can't hardly find a fly line that isn't some gaudy neon color. They will definitely spook fish at times. I agree with Flyman.
    Specks: the other pink meat.