Thread: Upcoming Trip Queastions

Default Upcoming Trip Queastions

Hey all, thanks in advance for your help. I'm a long time lurker and infrequent poster. I'm taking a couple guys this weekend to camp and fish. One guy knows how to fly fish and cast, the other is a total novice.

I was hoping to start them off at Roaring Fork, but that road seems to still be closed. My questions are as follows:

1) Is there any chance the road will be open by Friday?

2) if not, i've read elsewhere that you can park near the exit to the motor trail. Is this accurate? we are all youngish and wouldn't mind a walk, but how far would we need to trek to get to some good water?

I appreciate the help!

Is there a particular reason for choosing Roaring Fork? Where are you camping? Backcountry or car camping? There might be better water available than Roaring Fork for your trip, the folks on here have a wealth of knowledge but need more info in order to help you better. As far as your specific questions I can't answer, haven't been up there since the fires. You need to pay close attention to Byron's fishing report and daily look at the local weather. You might have to bounce around between watersheds to avoid high water. If you are staying on the Gatlinburg side you should definitely spend some time in Greenbriar, would give the 3 of you more elbow room than a smaller stream. Just some suggestions and I hope others will chime in with some info. Hope you guys have a fantastic trip.

I just really like fishing Roaring Fork, but I'm open for any suggestions. With all the plunge pools, its been my (limited)experience that for people new to fishing in the Smoky's that RF is a good starter river. We are driving in from Nashville on Friday, and I was planning to car camp at either Elkmont or Smokemont. The Luftee and Bradley Fork are also favorites of mine.

I've not fished Tremont hardly at all, so i'm pondering swinging by there as well.

I devour Byron's report - just hoping to get some info on where to park on the tail end of Roaring Fork.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerts9 View Post
    I just really like fishing Roaring Fork, but I'm open for any suggestions. With all the plunge pools, its been my (limited)experience that for people new to fishing in the Smoky's that RF is a good starter river. We are driving in from Nashville on Friday, and I was planning to car camp at either Elkmont or Smokemont. The Luftee and Bradley Fork are also favorites of mine.

I've not fished Tremont hardly at all, so i'm pondering swinging by there as well.

I devour Byron's report - just hoping to get some info on where to park on the tail end of Roaring Fork.
    If you want your kids to catch fish, don't forget about Roaring Fork outside of the national Park but in the city limits. My cabin is on this stretch, it is seldom fished, and it's easy to catch fish since these are stockers. Just go down to the Roaring Fork Extension, park your car, and start wading up the stream. No one will care.