Thread: To net or not to net?

Default To net or not to net?

So that is the question. do you carry a net?
    Always, sometimes, ocassionaly or never?

I don't, but I have thought that it might be better for the fish. I like to take a picture of them, but sometimes they are hard to hold. At same time I can see where a net would hang up on every limb and bush and be a pain to take. so what do you guys do?
    ďA man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.Ē
    A man called Boomer

I use a net. Always.

Does it hang up? Occasionally, but I have gone to one of those magnetic holders on the back of my vest. It has greatly reduced hangups. I also suggest if you get a net, get the rubber netting. It is a bit heavier than the old nylon but it is much harder to get flies hung up in it than the rubber one.

The net I use is not huge like I would on the Clinch or other various tailwaters where the fish tend to be larger.

Nets are like having 4 wheel drive.

Itís better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

On smaller rainbow/brook streams no, everything else yes. Would hate to miss the opportunity for a good pic if I hooked a nice brown. I use a magnet and like it but rhodo will pull it loose, put you cell number on it too. Always rubber.

If I plan on taking any pictures, I always carry a net. It is much easier on the fish if you leave them in the net (rubber bag is best as mentioned above) and keep them in the water while getting your camera ready, etc. Keep them wet except for 5-10 seconds of lifting them out for that quick shot.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I like the net. I nearly always take it with me and only use it on larger trout as I believe it helps me land them faster. Any chance to reduce the fight time, it is easier on them when I release them. I use the magnetic clip on the back of my vest so that the handle hangs handle down, which seems to reduce the number of snags pulling the net loose.

Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
    If I plan on taking any pictures, I always carry a net. It is much easier on the fish if you leave them in the net (rubber bag is best as mentioned above) and keep them in the water while getting your camera ready, etc. Keep them wet except for 5-10 seconds of lifting them out for that quick shot.
    I didn't realize all of this until me and my son fished with David once. My son landed a chunky rainbow with David's assistance (I believe David said it was one of the larger rainbows he'd seen taken in the park at that time), and David showed us how to just kinda keep the fish in the net and actually hold the fish through the net. He's still got some water coming into his gills and he's not touching our skin. Seems like we had a bit of a fuss getting that fish loose and it took him a minute to wake up, but David assured me he was "OK".

I almost always carry one. You just have to figure out how to rig it so that it doesn't get hung. I use rubber netting with a magnetic holder attached to my pack strap so that it hangs in the small of my back. It hardly ever gets hung up, even if I'm crawling through a rhodo thicket.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

It's easier to get the hook out of a fish's mouth when you've got it in a net. I attach one part of a magnetic net release to the bow of the net with a zip tie, and the other half of the net release to a loop on my sling pack so that the net hangs handle down. I have a stretchy cord attached to a screw eye in the handle, which I attach to my Simms back support belt (indispensable piece of gear!) with a carabiner. If the net gets hung in brush and pulls lose from the magnetic release, I won't lose it. Clear rubber bag. I followed Don Howell's advice in the book he and his son Kevin wrote, "Tying and Fishing Southern Appalachian Trout Flies" or something like that. He said to buy an inexpensive net, cut the net bag off, finish the frame well (I used 2 coats of marine varnish), and tie the net bag back on. I used some 20-lb Dacron backing to tie it back on, which is less likely to rot than cotton. Net looks a lot more expensive than what I paid for it.