Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Report/Update

Thumbs up Fishing Report/Update

This is kind of a long post, but I saw somebody looking for more fishing reports, so here goes! Itís just a fishing report/tips from a non-pro local. I have fished quite a bit this year and have also started tying my own flies (finally). Iíve been alternating between my homebuilt 9í 2wt and my 12í ultralight 5:5 tenkara rod lately. Iíve been to the west prong of the Little Pigeon a lot (everywhere between the welcome center to the chimneys trail head), Tremont, Lynn Camp, Ramsey Prong, also been going to Porters Creek lately. I have been using nothing but the barbless nymphs I tied, the rod I built, and the birch branch net I made, and have been doing pretty well! Iíve decided this whole year Iím just going to stick with that and my tenkara rod and see how it goes. I really love taking just a few flies and making it work. I am going to need to tie some dries though, because I still love dry fly fishing this time of year!

Photo I took of my buddy learning how to fly fish at Porters Creek:

My setups:

9í 2wt 2-pc I built with a Redington Zero 2/3 reel and a 3wt WF line. I use it for smallmouth too, but for my trout setup I usually use 6ft of 6lb moss green mono (or 4lb magnathin) then about 3ft of 6X or 7X tippet. That makes the leader/tippet to the fly basically the length of the rod. I'll cut the 6' section down a foot sometimes or even more if I'm somewhere relatively tight like Road Prong or West Prong of Little River.

I have a 7'3" TFO Finesse 2wt, I do the same thing to match the rod length or less. I'll use it for #14 neversink caddis, but Iím trying not to use it this year.

My 12' ultralight 5:5 tenkara rod has been getting used a lot lately. Itís insanely light and flexy, it weighs 1.4oz TOTAL and itís 12ft long. So, I can use 7-8' of #3.5 (10lb test) orange flourocarbon, then 3-4' of 7X. I use it for #16-14 unweighted nymphs or tiny dries. I can reach out 20ft with that super light line and be extra stealthy. You land fly-first and only the tippet ever touches the water, itís great for the park! You can get a clean drift on a dry across currents and in tiny pockets. It also makes landing fish super fast and a 8Ē fish feels like a rod-snapping monster.

The flies:

I decided I wanted to finally tie my own flies because I canít really find any super durable, fast-sinking, small, barbless flies that are exactly what I want. So, I bought the bare minimum gear to tie 50 flies that are more or less the same just to see if I could do it. Below are my first attempts. I wanted some weighted, but small nymphs that will last for a long time and work for most of the year. But, mainly something that wasnít complicated to tie for my first time.

Those are the first 2 I did. Here are some variations:

This is what I was going for I guess:

Some fish:

Nice report on some waters that side of the mountain, also like the flies. Thanks!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Sounds like you are having some fun and successful trips, especially with your own setups....that has to be rewarding. Great report and thanks for taking the time to share.

You have a gift for creating some attractive flies. I think some of those in your photos would work and catch fish anywhere trout are found in Tn. Beautifully done. Stick with it.

Thumbs up

Great post and nice writeup! Thank you for sharing and helping others! Keep up the great work and creativity in your fly tying!

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacMTSU View Post
    This is kind of a long post, but I saw somebody looking for more fishing reports, so here goes! Itís just a fishing report/tips from a non-pro local. I have fished quite a bit this year and have also started t...
    ďEvery human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change

Nice Post! Thanks for sharing. Some great photos. I see you like the epoxy on your flies. I've been experimenting with 3 different formulas of UV resins. It cool what you can accomplish quickly and you get 100% solids for a tough finish. Keep the post coming
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Excellent post...beautiful environment...beautiful fish...beautiful flies!!

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacMTSU View Post
    and the birch branch net I made,
    Great Report and Pics! I'd love to see a pic of your net to if you don't mind, I think that is awesome!

hNt
    When I see a mountain stream, all my troubles and worries seem to flow downstream, leaving me peaceful and serene. I then immediately start fishing, upstream.

Thanks for the comments, everybody! I hope to keep tying and fish a bunch this year! I'll try to keep the posts coming!

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    Great Report and Pics! I'd love to see a pic of your net to if you don't mind, I think that is awesome!

hNt

Here are some pics of the net! I wanted a net that was wayyy lighter and smaller than anything I could find off the shelf.

So, what I did was:

• I snapped a forked branch off of a Birch tree outside my house and steamed it into shape. I got one that was long enough to be looped back around onto itself so it's a continuous loop.
    • I stripped all the bark off of it, then whittled down the spikes leftover from the smaller branches.
    • There's probably much better ways of doing this, but I just boiled a giant pot of water on the stove, kept it in the steam and dipped it into the water repeatedly until I could kind of bend it.
    • I kept dipping and holding it and pulling it into a loop until I got into the full loop.
    • Then, I lashed it all up with a string to force it into the shape I wanted. I kept steaming and wrapping it to constrict it to where I wanted.
    • Then, I just let it steam for a long time to king of make sure wasn't stressed out and going to crack on me.
    • When I figured it was steamed enough, I laid it over an air vent at my house and let it cool.

This photo is of a smaller one I did first just to make sure I could do it:

• Before I took the lashing off, I took some copper (brass?) jewelry wire and wrapped the loop up in a couple spots

The net material is from an old Frabill net that I already had, I just slipped the "hem" part onto the loop before I jewelry wired it, cut it down a lot, and sewed it back into a smaller/oval shape.

When I got done, I oiled it all up with some basic teak oil.

It's perfect for the park and makes taking photos super easy! I have chopped some length off of the handle since I took these photos, just to make it no bigger than my palm/grip. I want to drill a hole in the end and attach it to a magnet clip eventually. I also want to get a really fine, black mesh material but no way I'm paying $43 for it https://www.tenkarausa.com/product_i...roducts_id/113

That is so cool! Thanks again for sharing, first the report and now the net! That net is awesome!

hNt
    When I see a mountain stream, all my troubles and worries seem to flow downstream, leaving me peaceful and serene. I then immediately start fishing, upstream.