Thread: Okay fellas, I have another question for the board...

Default Okay fellas, I have another question for the board...

Dry fly fishing and a super small trout (like small minnow size) starts biting and dragging the fly under water during my drift.

Do I let it keep messing with it in hopes it attracts a larger fish?

Or will the little fish not taking it alert the bigger fish that something is off?

Thank you Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

It's been my experience when that happens that it's a warpaint shiner, not a trout, that's messing with your fly. I've always figured that if the little guy feels comfortable enough in that spot to be there harassing my fly, there aren't any bigger fish nearby that might present a threat to him. So I move on in search of the big fish he isn't hiding from. SC
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

I have experienced that very thing, except not with a dry fly, but with a nymph. Constantly getting hit after hit and then I hooked one. It was a shiner that Santa described or a creek chub or some similar small minnow type fish. Just move on.
    Joe

It's a sign that your fishing too low in the watershed. Move upstream. I forget the name of the creek that comes in on sinks side just upstream of the Wye, but there are like 28 species of fish most are not game fish. Go upstream and it will be all dace and Trout. While you will occasionally catch a fish that's not a trout it will be the exception and not the norm. If you want to catch low elevation game fish, I'd trade in my dry and dropper rod for a streamer rod and take a lesson from David Knapp, Gary Troutman, or Josh Pfiefer
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com

Quote Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
    It's a sign that your fishing too low in the watershed. Move upstream. I forget the name of the creek that comes in on sinks side just upstream of the Wye, but there are like 28 species of fish most are not game fish. Go upstream and it will be all dace and Trout. While you will occasionally catch a fish that's not a trout it will be the exception and not the norm. If you want to catch low elevation game fish, I'd trade in my dry and dropper rod for a streamer rod and take a lesson from David Knapp, Gary Troutman, or Josh Pfiefer

Interesting. I appreciate that info.