Thread: Favorite dry-dropper setup for Smokies streams?

Question Favorite dry-dropper setup for Smokies streams?

Ok, now that warm weather is upon us, my thoughts usually steer towards small wild streams. Most of those are best fished, with the exception of the occasional all-too-enticing deep plunge pool, with a dry-dropper setup. Now in the spirit of I'll show you mine if you show me yours, what's your favorite dry-dropper setup?

I fished a blueline yesterday and went most of the day with a 6' hand-tied 5x leader of Joe Humphreys' formula with a #14 yellow Stimulator and 16-18" 6x fluoro tied with a Duncan loop (to allow for removal for those "can only shoot a dry up under there" spots) and a non-beadhead weighted #16 Hare's Ear.

What's your favorite setup for dry-dropping in them thar hills?

Regards,
    Bamboo flyrods, old four wheel drives, small streams
    "I will make you fishers of men"- Christ
    email: dawgvet2003(at)yahoo(dot)com

Mine is usually a stimulator with bead head pheasant tail.

Starting about this time of the year, I usually go with a Neversink caddis or yellow stimulator with a green weenie dropper. I like the dry/terrestrial combo. Sometimes I change out the green weenie for a pink one or go to an ant.

#14 Parachute Adams and #16 BHPT

Last week I caught trout on a wet fly/nymph combo. I had my version of a yeller hammer (yellow duck quill palmered on for the hackle) with a red squirmy worm off that. I thought they would hit the squirmy worm, but they had no interest in it. However, they nailed the yeller hammer. Not a dry/nymph combo, but it worked.
    Joe

This time of year, parachute hopper and a black ant dropper.
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Ok, so on those Beadhead Pheasant Tails, is that a tungsten bead? I sometimes have the nymph pull the dry under when using a tungsten bead.
    Thanks for the replies! Keep ‘em coming!
    Bamboo flyrods, old four wheel drives, small streams
    "I will make you fishers of men"- Christ
    email: dawgvet2003(at)yahoo(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgvet View Post
    Ok, so on those Beadhead Pheasant Tails, is that a tungsten bead? I sometimes have the nymph pull the dry under when using a tungsten bead.
    Thanks for the replies! Keep ‘em coming!
    Mostly tungsten beads for me although I usually undersize the bead and keep the fly small when using tungsten in a dry/dropper. If I'm having a hard time keeping the dry fly floating, I either go up a size on the dry, or down a size on the nymph and/or bead...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Dry Fly: A very much over-dressed Caddis. This version has 3 times the normal bleached elk hair, twice the density of hackle, a Zelon shuck tail, and an added touch of bright green or yellow Hi-Vis over wing. Don't skimp on the size. Use paste floatant. Mine are all size 10 or 12. THEY FLOAT in the roughest water while holding up a bead-head nymph. Additionally, those over-size Caddis will generally take one out of every 8 to 10 trout landed in freestone waters.

Nymph (underneath): BH Prince, BH Pheasant Tail, (Black BH) Black Ant, BH Caddis pupa, BH Copper John, etc. I mostly use sizes 14 to 16 and sometimes 18.

For picky, educated, over-worked trout on a diet, midge-nymphs like various forms of BH Zebra droppers in sizes 18 to 22 can sometimes turn their heads, especially in slower waters.

Y'all take care...........
    Last edited by bocash3; 05-14-2019 at 09:04 PM.

#12-#14 Yellow Stimulator or Thunderhead with a small non-tungsten beadhead Verlin Deluxe, Tellico, SOS, or ***-backwards little Japanese-style soft hackle. Later in the summer, I may run a green inchworm as the dropper.
    Specks: the other pink meat.