Thread: Bow and arrow casting practice?

Question Bow and arrow casting practice?

How do you guys practice this cast? And by that question I知 really asking do you practice out in yard or strictly on the water? I知 wondering because my practice fly is hitting and bouncing out in yard and I知 wondering how will that work on water. I知 also thinking about renaming it to a hook in thumb cast! So far I知 only practicing with yarn but I致e had that happen on water before, ouch! Any tips for keeping the hook out of my thumb is also appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    hNt
    鄭 man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

This video might help. Watch how and where he grasp the line. Short leaders and barbless might be a good idea
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFBdtQfw-ZI
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    This video might help. Watch how and where he grasp the line. Short leaders and barbless might be a good idea
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFBdtQfw-ZI
    That was awesome! Thanks a million! All this time i been trying to hold the actual fly, to be honest I have gotten to where I wouldn稚 try it unless I was fishing a green weeny, so I could Holt the tail lol. Thanks again Flyman
    鄭 man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

See if you can find a clip of Joe Humphrey’s now-and-arrow technique. He basically either figure-8’s the line in his hand or loops it and can then shoot 20-30’ of line into tiny spots. It’s on his DVD on fishing in brushy conditions. Truly great resource!
    Bamboo flyrods, old four wheel drives, small streams
    "I will make you fishers of men"- Christ
    email: dawgvet2003(at)yahoo(dot)com

Default Now & Arrow

I learned the technique many years ago on tiny creeks, which is the ultimate practice grounds. Though I haven’t watched the video, I can say that I’ve never hooked my thumb or any other part. (Now I’ve jinxed myself).

When I do the cast, I hold the back (outside) bend of the hook with the point away from me between my thumb & index finger. I get the line tight with the rod tip flexing back with the estimated pressure so that when I release the hook, go goes away from my hand and to the target area. It’s much simpler than my explanation.

The mistake I’ve seen is people holding the leader in front of the hook. The only thing missing is beer and “watch this” said immediately before releasing the hook!! LOL

OK, I went back and watched the video. I've never attempted to do a Bow & Arrow cast as he shows in the video. I can definitely see the problem. I my experience, I've never needed to make a bow and arrow cast beyond what I could do in holding the fly. I'd either do some form of roll cast or side roll cast to get the fly under overhanging bushes.

Jim Parks
    Last edited by Grampus; 05-13-2019 at 10:15 AM.