Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: MarMac Hopper?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    NC side of the Smokies
    Posts
    64

    Default MarMac Hopper?

    Does anybody have a recipe or picture of this pattern? I've seen it referenced in several places as a productive pattern designed by Marty Maxwell of Robbinsville, but I have never been able to find any more info about it, nor see one.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Townsend, TN
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by just a hillbilly View Post
    Does anybody have a recipe or picture of this pattern? I've seen it referenced in several places as a productive pattern designed by Marty Maxwell of Robbinsville, but I have never been able to find any more info about it, nor see one.
    You are correct hillbilly. Not much info on it other than a casual reference to it. I saw it referred to as the North Carolina version of the Dave's hopper. I'll do some inquiring for you next time I am at LRO (I am usually there several times a week) and will let you know what I find. There are some old experienced tiers who were raised up in the area that hang out there so some of them must know about this fly.
    Joe

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Posts
    874

    Default

    Here is a post from Jim Casada on LRO Forum from 2009, also my friend Don Kirk of Southern Trout Magazine makes a reference in his book "Fly Fishing Guide To the Smokies" that it is the North Carolina version of Dave's Hopper as mentioned above.
    See the post below from Jim and maybe reach out to him for further direction. Good luck with your search!

    From LRO FORUM 2009:

    Tom--Any particular reason you are set on a foam hopper? Joe's hopper patterns work well, but the most common 'hopper in the Park is a greyish-green one I've never seen well imitated in commercially available flies. A good buddy of mine, Marty Maxwell, ties an excellent replication which I've called a MarMac Hopper. I don't remember much about the "recipe" except that the wings are turkey feather. Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

    "Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

    Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

    http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

    FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

    "A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    NC side of the Smokies
    Posts
    64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigsur View Post
    Here is a post from Jim Casada on LRO Forum from 2009, also my friend Don Kirk of Southern Trout Magazine makes a reference in his book "Fly Fishing Guide To the Smokies" that it is the North Carolina version of Dave's Hopper as mentioned above.
    See the post below from Jim and maybe reach out to him for further direction. Good luck with your search!

    From LRO FORUM 2009:

    Tom--Any particular reason you are set on a foam hopper? Joe's hopper patterns work well, but the most common 'hopper in the Park is a greyish-green one I've never seen well imitated in commercially available flies. A good buddy of mine, Marty Maxwell, ties an excellent replication which I've called a MarMac Hopper. I don't remember much about the "recipe" except that the wings are turkey feather. Jim Casada
    www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
    Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    You are correct hillbilly. Not much info on it other than a casual reference to it. I saw it referred to as the North Carolina version of the Dave's hopper. I'll do some inquiring for you next time I am at LRO (I am usually there several times a week) and will let you know what I find. There are some old experienced tiers who were raised up in the area that hang out there so some of them must know about this fly.
    Joe

    Thanks! That's pretty much about what I've read, too. Somebody has to know more about it.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •