Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Cades Cove Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Townsend, TN
    Posts
    134

    Default Cades Cove Question

    I am wondering if the picnic area right near the restrooms is a good place to fish? Talk about easy access for an old guy with arthritis this is it. I have never seen anyone fishing there but there are always people walking around. If there are fish there, it seems like they would be used to people and would not spook so easily. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Joe

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Lafayette, TN
    Posts
    128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    . I have never seen anyone fishing there but there are always people walking around. If there are fish there, it seems like they would be used to people and would not spook so easily.
    I've often thought exactly the same thing, but I've never tried it! I think I have read somewhere that there was trout there, I'm thinking it was one of Ian Rutter's books, but I'm not sure.
    A man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    338

    Default

    That stream is called Anthony creek by some or the headwater of Abrams. I fished it several years ago. All it had then was some small rainbows, but now they are restoring it with brook trout. While they are doing this it will not be closed, at least that’s the last I heard a couple of years ago.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kingston, TN
    Posts
    284

    Default

    The brook trout restoration is being done further upstream above the natural barrier created by an old mill dam. I believe the dam is about 1/4 - 1/2 mile upstream from the picnic area. There are rainbows below the dam, but I don't know if they have much of a presence in the picnic area/campground itself. Sorry.
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Knoxville
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Here is a pretty recent article I found on Anthony creek.

    https://coastalanglermag.com/brook-trout-anthony-creek/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Townsend, TN
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    Here is a pretty recent article I found on Anthony creek.

    https://coastalanglermag.com/brook-trout-anthony-creek/
    Thanks for the article JayR. It was very interesting.
    Joe

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Townsend, TN
    Posts
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
    The brook trout restoration is being done further upstream above the natural barrier created by an old mill dam. I believe the dam is about 1/4 - 1/2 mile upstream from the picnic area. There are rainbows below the dam, but I don't know if they have much of a presence in the picnic area/campground itself. Sorry.
    Thanks Santa. I was just wondering. Maybe I will move upstream a ways and try it.
    Joe

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    I am wondering if the picnic area right near the restrooms is a good place to fish? Talk about easy access for an old guy with arthritis this is it. I have never seen anyone fishing there but there are always people walking around. If there are fish there, it seems like they would be used to people and would not spook so easily. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Joe
    caught some rainbows right behind the bathroom this spring when I was in Cades Cove. Kids were splashing downstream but there was good water flowing through the picnic area. Also picked up a few chubs. I had quite the audience as I was breaking in the Tenkara rod.

    Hokie
    I

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •