Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cades Cove Question

Default Cades Cove Question

I am wondering if the picnic area right near the restrooms is a good place to fish? Talk about easy access for an old guy with arthritis this is it. I have never seen anyone fishing there but there are always people walking around. If there are fish there, it seems like they would be used to people and would not spook so easily. Thanks in advance for your input.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    . I have never seen anyone fishing there but there are always people walking around. If there are fish there, it seems like they would be used to people and would not spook so easily.
    I've often thought exactly the same thing, but I've never tried it! I think I have read somewhere that there was trout there, I'm thinking it was one of Ian Rutter's books, but I'm not sure.
    ďA man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.Ē
    A man called Boomer

That stream is called Anthony creek by some or the headwater of Abrams. I fished it several years ago. All it had then was some small rainbows, but now they are restoring it with brook trout. While they are doing this it will not be closed, at least that’s the last I heard a couple of years ago.

The brook trout restoration is being done further upstream above the natural barrier created by an old mill dam. I believe the dam is about 1/4 - 1/2 mile upstream from the picnic area. There are rainbows below the dam, but I don't know if they have much of a presence in the picnic area/campground itself. Sorry.
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!

Here is a pretty recent article I found on Anthony creek.

https://coastalanglermag.com/brook-trout-anthony-creek/

Quote Originally Posted by Stana Claus View Post
    The brook trout restoration is being done further upstream above the natural barrier created by an old mill dam. I believe the dam is about 1/4 - 1/2 mile upstream from the picnic area. There are rainbows below the dam, but I don't know if they have much of a presence in the picnic area/campground itself. Sorry.
    Thanks Santa. I was just wondering. Maybe I will move upstream a ways and try it.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    Here is a pretty recent article I found on Anthony creek.

https://coastalanglermag.com/brook-trout-anthony-creek/
    Thanks for the article JayR. It was very interesting.
    Joe

Thanks for the article JayR. It was very interesting.
    Joe
    Are you staying there or just looking for a creek with easy access? Iíve got one in mind thatís stupidly easy to get to and not hard fishing if the latter is the case

Quote Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
    Are you staying there or just looking for a creek with easy access? I’ve got one in mind that’s stupidly easy to get to and not hard fishing if the latter is the case
    No, I'm not staying there. I live in Townsend and I am always looking for places in the Park; i.e., creeks, streams, etc. that are easy to access. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Joe

No, I'm not staying there. I live in Townsend and I am always looking for places in the Park; i.e., creeks, streams, etc. that are easy to access. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Joe
    Just a FWIW response, be careful posting specific streams/locations on this (and other) boards. Unless you want it overrrun with fishermen. And yes, I have seen this happen. For every one poster on here there are hundreds of readers not to mention the dozens of search engines that pick up the names and locations.

Being as this his board doesn’t have IM capabilities, it makes it a bit difficult to do so.