Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trip of a Lifetime (Well...At least 42 years)

Posting these pictures for Jim. He can post the recipe

Thanks Gary for the photo (I can't get the photo bucket thing to work)

I've always tied the guinea on a size 8 hook and I add weight to the shank before tying. The body is a medium, grey chennile. The flash in the photo makes it look lighter than it is. The darker color of the body in the photos represents the color fairly well. I split the guinea feather (LRO sells them in small packs) and tie the stem from the proximal end of the feather to the hook and make a few wraps. I was taught to tie the underside (lighter) side of the feather facing backwards. It looks like some kind of gaudy water spider, but it has worked and is still my go-to fly in the Spring after 40 years. It's likely the origin came from the "old school" method of using what is available to tie flies, hence the guinea fowl that many farmers used as "watch dogs". As I mentioned earlier, I've caught 5 browns over 20" in the past 3 years during April, May, June on this fly.

Jim Parks

Thanks for the pics and information, I will have to give this a try

Mike
    "Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton

I'll have to admit that Jim's beautiful pictures and his great story got my blood moving pretty good so I got my 6wt rod out that handles the bigger flies well and off to the Park I drove this morning. I'm slower now at getting around on the creek, but things just looked good this morning and I found a good place to pull off at about 8:00AM. I hadn't fished more than a couple of holes and for whatever reason I turned at an angle in the creek so that I could move toward the bank while letting my flies trail in the current. I was just holding the rod up in the air and "BAMM"! Something hit the flies so hard that the rod just about went into the creek. I turned back toward the fish and got both hands on the rod so that I had a little control. The fish was putting some strong power moves on and I just knew that I had a really nice brown, but I got a nice surprise. It came up and boiled the water with strong turns back down to the bottom. Each time I could see beautiful crimson sides and gills. I hadn't seen a rainbow that big in quite some time in Little River. He looked to be about 18 inches long and apparently my poor tying of pieces of leader together just did not hold up. You know that feeling when a prize leaves you standing there feeling defeated. all in all, it was a good morning, but nothing to compare with this beautiful lady that really showed her colors. Maybe another time.

Ginseng Man
    Hugh Hartsell

In the photo it appears there is chennile wrapped forward of the hackle. Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by North river View Post
    In the photo it appears there is chennile wrapped forward of the hackle. Is that correct?
    Yes. I tie the chennile the full length of the weight wrapped on the hook, so the chennile wraps in front of the feather. Then I wrap the feather a few times around the hook and tie it off. You'll notice with the guinea feather that it's not very long so you'll only get a couple of wraps with it before you'll have to tie it off.

Jim

Hugh, sounds like you were using the patented "Tennesse Troll" method!

Not paying attention to details resulted in similar thing happening to me on the 15th. In the last long pool, I had spotted 2 or 3 large browns lying on the bottom on a rock shelf. After I landed the 3rd large brown of the day, I made another long cast to where I'd hooked the 3rd one and got an immediate strike. I set the hook and after a few head shakes, my tippet broke! I failed to check my leader and flies after fighting the 21-incher and the line was weakened. A STOOPID mistake, but after the day I'd had I felt a bit of gluttony if I'd gotten upset over losing #4.

Jim Parks

Quote Originally Posted by GinsengMan View Post
    I'll have to admit that Jim's beautiful pictures and his great story got my blood moving pretty good so I got my 6wt rod out that handles the bigger flies well and off to the Park I drove this morning. I'm slower now at getting around on the creek, but things just looked good this morning and I found a good place to pull off at about 8:00AM. I hadn't fished more than a couple of holes and for whatever reason I turned at an angle in the creek so that I could move toward the bank while letting my flies trail in the current. I was just holding the rod up in the air and "BAMM"! Something hit the flies so hard that the rod just about went into the creek. I turned back toward the fish and got both hands on the rod so that I had a little control. The fish was putting some strong power moves on and I just knew that I had a really nice brown, but I got a nice surprise. It came up and boiled the water with strong turns back down to the bottom. Each time I could see beautiful crimson sides and gills. I hadn't seen a rainbow that big in quite some time in Little River. He looked to be about 18 inches long and apparently my poor tying of pieces of leader together just did not hold up. You know that feeling when a prize leaves you standing there feeling defeated. all in all, it was a good morning, but nothing to compare with this beautiful lady that really showed her colors. Maybe another time.

Ginseng Man
    Hugh Hartsell
    Hugh, were you using the Guinea fly? I assume that you were but I don't see it in your post. Great story. I usually lose the fish I hook before landing them. It doesn't bother me though as I know I fooled the fish and I don't have to worry about releasing them.....Joe

Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    Hugh, were you using the Guinea fly? I assume that you were but I don't see it in your post. Great story. I usually lose the fish I hook before landing them. It doesn't bother me though as I know I fooled the fish and I don't have to worry about releasing them.....Joe
    xviguage, I happened to be using a Hellgramite pattern that is real similar to the one that Jim showed us how to tie at LRO's. The dropper that I was using below it was a Smoky Mountain Blackbird Softhackle. It has some similarities to the Guinea Fly. It is weighted and has a Starling Feather for the hackle. Wouldn't you like to just follow along with him sometime and see him perform his magic on those big browns.

Ginseng Man
    Hugh Hartsell

Hugh I like to fish with about anyone now days, especially good fishermen. No two fishermen do exactly everything the same. I've been running that new Cortland Fluro and it's strong as goat rope. Breakoffs are few and far in-between. Have you taken you page down? Sure was a lot of good information on there.
    Last edited by flyman; 06-25-2019 at 06:43 AM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali