Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trip of a Lifetime (Well...At least 42 years)

Good morning, Steve. I have taken the website down. I had a computer crash some time ago and the Front Page Software we used to access the site was on that computer. We bought an Apple Computer after that and Front Page is not usable on it. We just decided to discontinue the site. It was fun while we had it and a lot of memories are there.
    I would love to fish with you some time.
    Ginseng Man
    Hugh Hartsell

Quote Originally Posted by GinsengMan View Post
    xviguage, I happened to be using a Hellgramite pattern that is real similar to the one that Jim showed us how to tie at LRO's. The dropper that I was using below it was a Smoky Mountain Blackbird Softhackle. It has some similarities to the Guinea Fly. It is weighted and has a Starling Feather for the hackle. Wouldn't you like to just follow along with him sometime and see him perform his magic on those big browns.

Ginseng Man
    Hugh Hartsell
    Yes Hugh, I would love to watch Jim catch some of those big browns. Better still, I would love to fish with him sometime.
    Joe

Amazing writeup Jim - funny how this kind of report simultaneously makes me want to quit going up there out of discouragement and call off work tomorrow to give it another shot. Good stuff, man!!!

Todd (technowannabe)

Hey man I would love to fish with you in the fall or spring when I come up. Can I be your next protege lol?

Is there a tutorial on tying that fly?

Quote Originally Posted by technowannabe View Post
    Amazing writeup Jim - funny how this kind of report simultaneously makes me want to quit going up there out of discouragement and call off work tomorrow to give it another shot. Good stuff, man!!!

Todd (technowannabe)
    Hey Todd,

For years, I'd remained quiet about #'s and sizes to prevent discouragement of other fishermen. I once had a discussion with Gary Troutman where I commented it's best to "LIE" about our fishing by saying we'd caught fewer and smaller trout than we actually did. My by-line was that I'd "caught a few" or "9", and if asked size, I'd say "7 or 8 inches". Sometimes, I still do. The reason being is that most aren't fortunate to live near the Park and someone driving 4 hours from Birmingham and catches two 6" trout would be tickled until they heard of someone else catching 30 with several over 10". I realize many have never caught a 10" fish and I don't want to burst their bubble. However,

With the widespread use of social media, I felt like I had to come to the defense of the GSMNP and its quality of fishing. On an earlier post, I quoted comments someone made essentially saying "there's only 5-7" brookies in the Park". THERE ARE big fish in the Smokies and they're NOT stocked, but wild trout. To me, the challenge is unparalleled at least in my experience which includes fishing in Vermont, Arkansas, Virginia, Montana, Wyoming, Alaska plus salt water all on numerous occasions. To me, that challenge is the fun all wrapped around the scenery of the GSMNP which is unsurpassed anywhere. I also hope to simplify the process in only using a few different fly patterns, focusing on the approach and presentation. If you'll read thru my posts, I've attempted to share as much of my 40+ years of experience as possible in flies and techniques. And I avoid giving specific locations more to protect the fishery as a whole. I routinely fish several different places throughout the year, focusing on the experience I'm wanting. There are times when catching a lot of small rainbows or brook trout is what I seek. Otherwise, doing the same thing (yes, catching big browns) over and over will eventually lose its excitement.

Right now, find cool water (64 deg or less) using a thermometer. Dress in cammo, PLEASE no white,yellow,orange not even on a hat! LOOK before casting. Force yourself to study the water, and use stealth!

And go because you WANT to, not because you feel like you should. It'll make you a better fisherman.

Jim Parks

Quote Originally Posted by GSM Bigfoot View Post
    Hey man I would love to fish with you in the fall or spring when I come up. Can I be your next protege lol?
    Sorry, Bigfoot. My next 2 proteges are lined up. An 8 yo great-nephew followed by his 2 yr old brother.

Jim Parks

Where can i find a pattern to tie the guinea fly?I would surely appreciate to be pointed in the right direction. Many different variations on the web but would only be interested in the one that works for
    GSMNP fishing.
    Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by trad bow View Post
    Where can i find a pattern to tie the guinea fly?I would surely appreciate to be pointed in the right direction. Many different variations on the web but would only be interested in the one that works for
    GSMNP fishing.
    Thanks Jeff

Troutman posted photos of the guinea fly on this thread, but something must have happened as they're no longer there.

It is a simple fly to tie, otherwise I wouldn't be tying it.

I use a #8 nymph hook. I wrap weight around the shank and use black thread to tie on the grey chennile. At the front of the hook, I tie a split guinea feather on. To prepare the feather, get a guinea fly and split it, essentially taking the hairs off one side of the stem of the feather. Use the thread to tie the larger butt end of the split feather on top of the shank. Wrap the chennile from the back of the hook to the front, crossing over the butt end of the feather that is tied to the top of the hook. Tie off the chennile. Take the guinea feather and wrap a few times. The feathers are short so you won't get much more that 2 wraps. Tie it off and you're done.

Hope this helps.

Jim Parks