Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel Repair?

Default Reel Repair?

Does anyone know of anyone in the Townsend/Maryville/Pigeon Forge area who does reel repair? I have a nice (though cheap) fly reel that is a Hardy Clone. The little leaf spring that operates the spool release button broke and I have no idea how to fix it. For someone who knows what they are doing it should be an easy repair. If you know of someone and could post their info here I will contact them.
    Joe

You could just send it back to the manufacturer or it may be as simple as replacing a part. Lots of reel makers will have a site with part numbers, or sometime the original paperwork that comes with the reel will have part numbers. https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/reel-parts/
    Last edited by flyman; 06-27-2019 at 01:01 AM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Didn't find anybody local, but a guy on one of the fishing forums I frequent who lives in California will fix it. I sent it out to him yesterday.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    You could just send it back to the manufacturer or it may be as simple as replacing a part. Lots of reel makers will have a site with part numbers, or sometime the original paperwork that comes with the reel will have part numbers. https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/reel-parts/
    Thank you for taking the time to share this information!

Quote Originally Posted by xvigauge View Post
    Didn't find anybody local, but a guy on one of the fishing forums I frequent who lives in California will fix it. I sent it out to him yesterday.
    Joe
    It is amazing how you can find wonderful and kind people on the internet that share in your interests'.

I was thinking one could probably inquire with a jeweler about repairing a reel.

I have discovered the value in paying for a quality, machined, and enduring - brand supported reel.

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

I collect and fish with older (antique or vintage) fly reels. This particular reel was one of the many "Hardy Clones," in that it's design is exactly like one of the quality (and usually expensive) reels made by Hardy in England. The reel I have was older and has parts that just plain wore out. The guy I sent it to is not a pro, but a collector who has learned to work on reels based on the old adage, "Necessity is the mother of invention." Hardy clone reels have been made by Berkley, Garcia, Heddon, Roddy, Diawa, and probably by a few others. The current Medalist is a Hardy clone and is the only one currently being made (other than Hardy of course). LRO carries them. Check them out.
    Joe
    Last edited by xvigauge; 07-03-2019 at 11:09 AM. Reason: additional info

I collect and fish with older (antique or vintage) fly reels. This particular reel was one of the many "Hardy Clones," in that it's design is exactly like one of the quality (and usually expensive) reels made by Hardy in England. The reel I have was older and has parts that just plain wore out. The guy I sent it to is not a pro, but a collector who has learned to work on reels based on the old adage, "Necessity is the mother of invention." Hardy clone reels have been made by Berkley, Garcia, Heddon, Roddy, Diawa, and probably by a few others. The current Medalist is a Hardy clone and is the only one currently being made (other than Hardy of course). LRO carries them. Check them out.
    Joe
    Joe, that is awesome that you fish what you collect! I have a couple of vintage reels that I value the engraving, design, and uniqueness. It is good to be able to fix what you use. The beauty of technology is that we have an immense internet resource to find information. I am glad you are getting it fixed.

Here are a few of my favorite collectible fly reels for I have discovered over the years at yard sales and other places (not based on value or usability):

• Shakesphere made some beautiful automatics

• Pflueger Medalists are simple in look, but durable and efficient workhorses

• This Weber is a rockjumper companion of simplicity

• The Cortland 444 is another great reel and similar to the Pflueger

“Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Nice reels, Shawn. Thanks for posting.
    Joe

Nice reels Shawn, below is a pic of an approximate 100 year old Pflueger Bulldog reel that I took a picture of at this year's "Bamboo Bash" in Townsend for an article I wrote for this years Spring Southern Trout Magazine issue. (See link below).

https://issuu.com/southerntrout/docs/41_spring_2019/54
    [When link opened scroll past cover picture to go straight to article.]
    As Shawn mentions you can get as deep in the rabbit hole as you want on the internet. If older classics and bamboo is your quest check out Classic Fly Rod Forum!

"It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Hey bigsur, I was at the Bamboo bash this year. Did I meet you?
    Joe

Hey bigsur, I was at the Bamboo bash this year. Did I meet you?
    Joe

I was there Saturday day and early evening, most time spent in casting area/picnic tables or interviewing people for
    Southern Trout magazine article. Very well could have met, there were a lot of new faces for me to talk with, this events always a blast
    and learning experience.
    Last edited by bigsur; 07-05-2019 at 03:01 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."