Thread: Anyone fish Big Creek?

Default Anyone fish Big Creek?

So I've fished GSMNP a lot over the years but I've never fished Big Creek. How's the fishing over there? Was thinking of camping at the campground and fishing over a weekend. Any tips appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jed
    Bamboo flyrods, old four wheel drives, small streams
    "I will make you fishers of men"- Christ
    email: dawgvet2003(at)yahoo(dot)com

Big Creek is loaded with fish, but they aren't very large. The biggest problem up there is that it can be loaded with rafters, tubers, and lots of noisy people. If you like solitude, it has a great back country. You can go for miles into a pure wilderness.
    Ginseng Man
    Hugh Hartsell

You might consider purchasing one of the guide books available. Books by Don Kirk, Ian Rutter, or Jim Casada will answer almost any question you may have about any steam in the Smokies bigger than a trickle.

Quote Originally Posted by North river View Post
    You might consider purchasing one of the guide books available. Books by Don Kirk, Ian Rutter, or Jim Casada will answer almost any question you may have about any steam in the Smokies bigger than a trickle.
    Good advice. I have those and several other books on southeastern streams. Virtually all of them have very detailed descriptions of the stream and how to access them.

I've fished it a lot. Really good creek in my opinion. All rainbows until you get up a few miles and start hitting some specks. You're not gonna catch any trophies, but lots and lots of 6"-11" rainbows. I've never caught a brown in Big Creek except on the lower end below the park line when they used to stock it decades ago. Several good tributaries, too. Lots of rattlers and copperheads. Beautiful scenery, ultra-clear water, very slick rocks.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgvet View Post
    So I've fished GSMNP a lot over the years but I've never fished Big Creek. How's the fishing over there? Was thinking of camping at the campground and fishing over a weekend. Any tips appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jed

Here's my input. I love all the head water streams, but not so much the main stream in first 2 miles. The rocks in Big Creek are all rounded and canopy is more open making it harder to have a stealth approach. Compound that with lots of other fisherman that reminds me of a smaller scale of LR above Elkmont once the campground stays full.

One cool fact that may make you want to mark it off your bucket list is that the Rainbows are a different strain than the ones throughout rest of park.

Also you have the chance to catch a Big Creek Brown which might just make you famous
    Call me if you want to go fishing, boating, hiking, or if you want to buy a foamie
    www.foamiefriends.com