Thread: Cherokee

Default Cherokee

I'm going to be camping in Cherokee for a week at the end of the month. I always stay in Townsend and fish the Tennessee side of the park. So with that being said I'm lost on the NC side as far as fishing goes. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'm staying at Happy Holidays RV park and Soco creek runs though it.

I think people are hesitant to name streams in the Park on this forum. That being said, the streams you can drive to and start fishing are (these are all in the park), Nolan Creek, Deep Creek, Oconaluftee River, Bradley Fork, and Straight Fork. None of these are secret places and indeed with guide books by Jim Casada, Don Kirk, and Ian Rutter there are no more secret places. View a park trail map online and it will show you how to access. All these are quality streams that have trout that are not easy to catch (as opposed to stocked trout.)

The trout on the NC side are no different from those on the TN side. Personally, I think the NC side has better fishing in general. The Cherokee area has lots of options and good fishing. If you want to stay on the reservation, the lower Oconoluftee, Soco Creek, and the upper reaches of Raven Fork in Big Cove are teeming with stockers that they dump in every week. There is a stretch of catch and release trophy water on lower Raven Fork that is full of big, huge stockers, some of them have been in there long enough to look and act like real trout.

If you want to hit the GSMNP for wild fish, there is plenty of water around there. The main stem of the Oconoluftee in the park is very similar size and fish wise, to the Little River. Bradley Fork is similar to upper Tremont or the Little River above Elkmont. There are lots of tributaries that hold browns, rainbows, and specks. You could spend months exploring all of them.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

And if you want to fish for some stockers for the skillet then Soco Creek is a pretty good place on down below your campground.
    <(((>< In tribute to Ben, Duck Hunter extraordinaire, and man's best friend.