Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smallmouth Streamers and Poppers

Default Smallmouth Streamers and Poppers

I am planning on trying for some smallmouth bass in the Little River west of town at some of the road side rest/picnic areas. What are some local favorite flies/poppers in this stretch of the LR? I have lots of sparsely tied Clouser type minnows and some Deceivers I used in Florida on the salt flats. I would think that they would work, but am not sure. I can quickly tie up some wooly buggers if they will work. What colors should I focus on? I don't have any poppers so what would be some good popper choices? Thanks for your help.
    Joe

black or dark olive and white for buggers. small murdich minnows are good also. Poppers, yellow and black Boogle bug poppers size 6. Use no less than 3X tippet

Tequeelys and rabbit-strip Zonker-type flies work well in brown and rootbeer or chartreuse and white. As do the usual sculpin or Muddler patterns. Wiggle minnows are great, too. With Buggers, I like big ones tied with greenish-yellow/black variegated chenille, an olive marabou tail with a few strands of pearl Crystal Flash, and webby grizzly hackle.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Smallmouth typically aren't picky, especially in rivers. It's more about being in the right spot at the right time with good presentation. The problem with wading little river near Townsend is the landowners. One of them scared my girlfriend pretty bad when she was fly fishing up there, she won't go back as long as she lives

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Smallmouth typically aren't picky, especially in rivers. It's more about being in the right spot at the right time with good presentation. The problem with wading little river near Townsend is the landowners. One of them scared my girlfriend pretty bad when she was fly fishing up there, she won't go back as long as she lives
    I'm not worried about the land owners. I plan on fishing at the handicapped area at the roadside picnic spot out from town. I have a handicapped placard on my car that allows me to park there. I won't wade very far from that spot (I can't anyway because of my arthritis). I will either catch some fish there or I won't.
    Joe
    Last edited by xvigauge; 07-17-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
    Those are my least favorite people. I get it if there's a mysterious dude walking around on your property, but if you live ON the river, and there's a woman, in the middle of the day, fly fishing, and not even looking at your house, why go out and intimidate them and make them leave? Her footprints will be gone after the next rain. It's not like she was slamming beers on your river bank and leaving trash.

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacMTSU View Post
    Those are my least favorite people. I get it if there's a mysterious dude walking around on your property, but if you live ON the river, and there's a woman, in the middle of the day, fly fishing, and not even looking at your house, why go out and intimidate them and make them leave? Her footprints will be gone after the next rain. It's not like she was slamming beers on your river bank and leaving trash.
    I couldn't agree more. Used to be a good spot! Scared the heck out of her

I'm into collecting and fishing with vintage equipment. I'm going to use my Fenwick 8 foot 7 weight fiberglass fly rod with a Pflueger Medalist fly reel (one of the older ones made in Akron) and a NOS Scientific Anglers Air Cell bass bug taper line. It will be a hoot even if I don't catch any fish.
    Joe

Me too xvigauge.
    I've got several fenwicks and medalist combos.

Here's a tenn.river smallmouth.
    Last edited by swamp; 07-18-2019 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    Me too xvigauge.
    I've got several fenwicks and medalist combos.

Here's a tenn.river smallmouth.
    Hey Swamp, did you (or someone) change the reel seat on that Fenwick? I've never seen a factory Fenwick with an up locking reel seat, but I guess it is possible. BTW, I hope that I can take a photo of my Fenwick, but with a smallmouth bass attached like yours. Nice fish.
    Joe