Thread: Hackle

Default Hackle

What is used most for wet fly or nymph? For instance hackle on a prince. I have used soft hackle feathers and just wondering what other options might be? Thanks

Just about any saddle, hen or similar soft hackle will work just fine. Just don't use hackle that is too stiff.
    Joe

Sounds good. Thanks

I have started using more generic hen capes. CDC, and Coq de Leon hen for soft hackles and nymphs. I think the Coq de Leon hen capes are a good substitute for partridge and are half the cost of partridge. Good quality partridge capes have become pricey and harder to find in recent years. When I do use partridge I have been buying English birds that have a slightly different coloration. They are just a little larger and have a higher feather count and wider size range of feather sizes.
    Last edited by flyman; 09-11-2019 at 01:42 AM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I will have t try the Coq de leon. Thanks

I usually use hen neck for Prince nymphs.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

I have just started back tying after about a 15 year hiatus. I’ve been trying to tie a few secret weapons. Found an old India hen nick and it seems to work pretty well. Thanks again for all the suggestions.