Thread: 10 ft rods?

Default 10 ft rods?

Ive always used a 76 3 wt in the mountains. Ive noticed and read that a lot of folks seems like are using 10 ft rods. I can definitely see where a longer rod would be handy but Im not so certain about another 2.5 ft. What do you guys think or use?
    A man fishing for minnows, no matter how beautiful the minnow, is not after fish.
    A man called Boomer

I use a 10 ft. 3 weight Syndicate (sold at LRO) very often when nymph fishing in the Park. I don't use it every time because I have several rods and I want them all to get a little stream time. But, the 10 ft. is light so you won't get arm weary when high stick fishing for a couple of hours. The longer rod allows you to get a good drag free drift and allows you to fish those spots that are just out of reach with a shorter rod. You really should try one.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    Ive always used a 76 3 wt in the mountains. Ive noticed and read that a lot of folks seems like are using 10 ft rods. I can definitely see where a longer rod would be handy but Im not so certain about another 2.5 ft. What do you guys think or use?
    when I started fly fishing in the Smokies many years ago, the go to rod back then was a 7 6 rod. The weight wasnt as much of a concern but length was.

Now i fish everything from a 76 glass rod to a 10 euro nymphing rod. That being said, if I could only have one rod for the Smokies, it would be an 86 4 weight. That in my opinion is a compromise rod that can do most everything in the park. Granted its not a really good streamer rod, but you could chuck some small ones. I find that in the park with the limited casting distances on most streams, a longer rod is able to reach out and get in close, tight areas.

My .02 worth.

I have always like a little longer rod to fish the park than most people. Most of the time unless it's a really small stream I use 9 foot rods. I think I'd like to try a 10' somewhere like a tail water or larger river like you might encounter out west. Go ahead and buy one so you can let me try it out
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I mostly use my 9ft 2/3wt (2-piece) that I built. It is suuuper light and so much better in every way than my 7'6" 2wt. I do like the 7'6" if I'm hiking and want to bring a rod because it's a 4pc. I've been trying to use it more, but my 9ft is so much better for reaching out and being stealthy. People say a short a short rod is good for tight spots, but you can high stick spots with a 9ft that you can barely roll cast with a 7'6". I also use a 12' ultralight tenkara rod in tight spots and love it. Usually when spots get tight, you have very short pools/runs to fish, so with a 7'6" you are laying line on the water to get where you want to fish. It get's pulled all over and you end up pulling your flies around and recasting a lot. With a 9 or 10ft rod, you can just lay the fly where you want and high stick it down with no running line on the water at all. I'm actually building 10ft 2wt right now!

I prefer 8'6" to 9' rod. I've never used a 10', but would be willing to give it a try. Many years ago (30+), I started using a 9' and everyone then was into 6' to 7'6" rods and thought I was insane. It didn't take me long to realized I'd made the right move. As far as weight, I like a 4 wt, unless I'm gonna be slinging streamers then I go to a 9' 6wt. I like the 4 wt for the action it provides in absorbing runs and head shakes.

Funny story: A few years ago, I was in a local shop close to where I live, (Not LRO), looking for some quick fly-tying materials. While there, I became aware a fly-fishing clinic was gonna be held. On my way out, I stopped by a desk full of items on display for the clinic out of curiosity. As I observed a 4 wt rod, the "shop expert" started giving me an impromptu clinic on all of the items. He asked where I fished, I said, "mostly in the Park", as I held the 4 wt rod. He said, "that's good for the Park for catching the small trout. For big trout, you need a 6 wt," as he pointed it out to me on the table. I asked, "what do you consider a big trout?" He said, "12 inches".

I'm bad, so I couldn't help myself, I said, "so, I shouldn't use my 4 wt to catch a 20 inch brown in the Park?"

He gave me a serious look and said SLOWLY, "I've been fishin fifteen years" and continued to educate me as I pulled out my smartphone. When he finally stopped, I held up a photo of a 25 inch brown and said, "I've been fishin 35 years and I got this on my 4 weight", and quietly walked away....

Sadly, that's not my wife's favorite story of an encounter I had there from several years earlier......But that's for another post.

Jim Parks
    Grampus

In terms of the best tool for the job for most anglers, a 10' 3 weight is probably about as good as it gets for fishing in the Park. The extra reach makes high sticking very simple for anglers of all skill levels and is extremely deadly in the hands of a good angler. That said, if you like to fish smaller brook trout streams that are more overgrown than some, a shorter rod is probably much better. The longer rods are best utilized on low and mid elevation streams without as low of a canopy. If you are looking at longer rods and the advantage of extra reach, also look at Tenkara rods. I personally wouldn't fish them when large brown trout are a possibility, but they are another interesting tool for most other applications in the Park.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I also have been using the 10ft 3 weight Syndicate in the park except for small tight streams where I use a 7.5 ft 3 weight. The extra reach of the 10 footer is extremely useful. I also use the Syndicate on the Clinch for indicator nymphing. It has the strength to handle 20 inchers without any issues.

I bought a 10' 3 wt last year. It is quickly becoming my go-to rod for everything except the smallest speck creeks. I hate a short fly rod.
    Specks: the other pink meat.