Thread: Advice/poll for a tailwater rod?

Default Advice/poll for a tailwater rod?

I mostly fish bluelines in the Smokies and WNC, so I have very little experience on our local tailwaters primarily the Clinch and Holston.

A friend is getting back back in the game and we have the Smokies covered but not a tailwater rod.

My thoughts are (in general) a fast action 9’ rod in either 5 or 6 weight, but I’m leaning more to the 6 in order to not only throw dries and dry/droppers, but to be able to chuck streamers as well. Am I in the ballpark?

What are are you all using on these waters? Any and all advice is welcome.

I recently bought a 10' 5 wt Orvis Clearwater from LRO. It's a fast rod and may fish more like a 6wt. I think its a great rod for nymph fishing in the tailwaters. Easy on the wallet, too.

I think it depends on what you want to do, wade or float. Most of your fishing on the Clinch can be done with a 10' 3 or 4 weight rod. It will lightly deliver those small midge rigs without spooking the fish as much as a heavier line will. Streamer fishing is something different though and will require a 5 or 6 weight if you are wading and a 6-8 weight if you are fishing sinking lines out of a boat. One other thing, fast rods are nice for getting it out there, but don't protect the very fine tippets required on rivers like the Clinch as well as a more moderate rod. A rod with a softer tip and power in the butt section will give you the best of both worlds. A 9-10' 5 or 6 weight rod will will certainly work just fine, but when the water gets super low and the fish are skittish, a lighter line might be helpful.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Thanks for the advice guys!

i had not even thought about a forgiving tip due to light tippets especially throwing midges, that makes sense.

As for a forgiving tip, would the Sage Mod 490 be a good rod? For streamers it’s probably too light but for dries I’m thinking it ought to be pretty good.

Great post David and very informative! As for me; I throw a 7wt/9'-6" rod due to it's extra durability for my casting errors. I recommend David's approach to addressing a tailwater rod need.

Quote Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
    I think it depends on what you want to do, wade or float. Most of your fishing on the Clinch can be done with a 10' 3 or 4 weight rod. It will lightly deliver those small midge rigs without spooking the fish as much as a heavier line will. Streamer fishing is something different though and will require a 5 or 6 weight if you are wading and a 6-8 weight if you are fishing sinking lines out of a boat. One other thing, fast rods are nice for getting it out there, but don't protect the very fine tippets required on rivers like the Clinch as well as a more moderate rod. A rod with a softer tip and power in the butt section will give you the best of both worlds. A 9-10' 5 or 6 weight rod will will certainly work just fine, but when the water gets super low and the fish are skittish, a lighter line might be helpful.
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”