Thread: Thanksgiving

Default Thanksgiving

I've got a trip planned to be camping and fishing the week of Thanksgiving. I've never fished that time of year. So what do y'all wear layer wise under your waders to keep warm?

I have a pair of these and they work great

https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/me...weather-pant-1

I think it is still OK to be wet wading. I'll be wet wading until way into the winter when it gets REALLY cold.
    Joe

I wondered how cold it would possibly be at Thanksgiving. My last trip for the year every year has always been in late September. So I have never attempted anything after that. Would be great if its not that cold.

I use the rule of 100.

Add the stream temp to the ambient air temp. When it equals 100 or more, it should be comfortable to wet wade. Now having said that, this mainly applies to streams other than tailwaters, namely the Clinch.

In areas like the Smokies you are in and out and can get out of the colder water unlike wading all day long in waters like the Clinch.

There are other conditions that play into this such as wind, clouds, etc. but generally speaking it is a good rule of thumb I have found.

Weather here in the Smokies can be incredibly variable that time of year. I have seen it sunny and 70* on Thanksgiving, and I have also seen single-digit lows or a foot of snow. Normal weather then here on the NC side would be lows in the teens or 20s and highs in the 40s or 50s.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

If it is cold, i wear fleece pants under the wader. If normal fall weather just jeans under them

Like the Hillbilly said there can be a wide variation in weather. I hope you catch a nice weather window were it's warm with no rain. Most of the time in the winter I wear a pair or two of long johns. I have a couple different weights. Sometime it's the thin ones, sometime the heavier ones, and sometimes both plus a pair of sweat pants. I also like to wear fingerless gloves and a stocking cap when it's cold. Those two things can make a big difference. No need to go early or stay late. You will catch a lot more fish when the sun is on the water if it's cold. *Note-I fish all year long. So the conditions may be much colder than you encounter.. The fish never completely quit feeding.
    Last edited by flyman; 10-22-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali