Thread: S-L-O-W Day That Ended Well

Default S-L-O-W Day That Ended Well

Took the day off on Friday to fish with a friend. It was a beautiful, but chilly Fall day. Clear skies and cool water. The water was low and clear making it difficult to sneak around. The fishing was extremely S-L-O-W... I mean, I caught only FIVE fish (I can't count that low) in about 6 hours... Having fished a nice pool that had been productive in the past, I could see a few large browns, but as with the rest of the day, they just weren't biting, at all. I tossed numerous flies at them. Having resigned to the fact that any cast, like thousands of others during the day would wind up being unproductive, I reeled in my line and made my way out. My friend was walking up the stream to get to our take out when I noticed a splash just as he walked past a pool in the pocket water. I thought maybe he'd dropped something or maybe something large fell out of an overhanging tree. I stopped and looked at what it could be. There was nothing in the pool that had the splash, but the next "pocket" of water up had something moving. Using my polarized lenses, I kept looking and realized there was a nice sized trout in about 18 inches of fast water in a little pocket. Fortunately, I was concealed by a rock between me and the fish and it was busy snuggling up with another large trout. They were paired up swimming side by side.

NOW... For the REST of the story......
    I said the fishing was S-L-O-W.... We'd given up on trying to cast any more. However, when I spotted the fish in the shallow pocket water, I couldn't resist. I tried a streamer, to aggravate it into a strike, I even tried my "go to" fly, the Guinea and Grampus. NOTHING. Looking at my partner, I unattached my net hanging on my back and pointed at it. He shrugged, saying "why not". Crawling on my hands and knees at a 45 degree angle behind the large trout, I figured I needed to swoop from the front instead of the back as coming from the back would give them a better chance to bolt away. When I thought I was close enough, I took in a deep breath and with one fast swipe of the net (I've had practice with netting hummingbirds trapped in my garage), I pulled up this bad boy!

But that's not all...
    After a close look, I realized this is a trout I'd caught about 100 yds downstream about 6 weeks ago! I double-checked his identity with photos of spots on his head and around his eyes. The main difference is he'd grown a kype (hook jaw) for spawning season. I spoke with Park Fisheries Biologist Matt Kulp about the sudden appearance of they kype. He said they grow them every year then loose them, I guess something like a deer grows and sheds anglers? He asked for the 2 photos to demonstrate the growth of a kype in such a short time. After releasing him, we watched him as he swam around the pool looking for his girlfriend. I have a strong feeling, he found her quickly and their courtship has continued. Perhaps in a few years, I'll have the opportunity to catch and release his offspring.

Can I add that I HATE photobucket! Sorry the photo is so big, but at least it shows.

[IMG][/IMG]

Jim Parks

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Grampus; 10-22-2019 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Changed Photo

From what I can see it looks like a really nice fish.

Nice one for sure!
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Heck of a nice fish Jim!