So I was fishing in Cataloochee back at the end of September and ran across a nice older gentleman. We spoke briefly and went on down the creek. I later ran across him fishing and could see from a distance that he knew what he was doing. Only made short, precise casts and only one or two to the choicest spots as he methodically moved upstream. He was a true throwback to yesteryear as he waded in worn denim overalls and an old felt hat. He wore a traditional khaki vest that you could easily tell had logged many miles. I pointed him out to my son as a true glimpse of southern Appalachian fishing history.

I later purchased on of the Great Smoky Mountain Association's Smokies Life magazines that I'd missed as it featured trout fishing on the cover, and lo and behold there featured prominently in the article was a profile of Mr. Ray Ball, a noted local fly angler.

I was wondering if anyone on here knew much about him. He seemed very genuine and was very pleasant to talk with briefly on the stream.

Regards,
Jed Green