Thread: Favorite spring destinations -

Cool Favorite spring destinations -

So my brother and I were hoping to spend three nights in Cataloochee backcountry this spring but that looks out with the updated road closures.

So considering new ideas for a mid April trip this year. We have considered hanging out in front country campgrounds like Smokemont or Deep creek and using it as a basecamp to run around to as many places as possible. I will admit I am kind of partial to the NC side for fishing but still UK for basketball.

Anyone willing to share their favorite spring destination backcountry or front country
    Last edited by Mac; 01-29-2020 at 02:20 PM.

I have fished with Smokemont campground as my base. It worked out well. Several good streams nearby to fish and it wasn't far out of Cherokee if I needed supplies.

I would think Deep Creek would be a good one to try.

Elkmont is pretty crowded and on the TN side, I'm with you OP, I much better like fishing the NC side.

I have fished out of but never stayed at Big Creek. Big Creek campground is pretty small and pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but pretty close to I-40.

Thanks JayR

Deep creek is on my radar for a good long day. Anyone out there have any info on the gorge above CS 60 on Deep Creek. Wondering what you could expect

Have you considered Hazel or Eagle creek? A bit more difficult getting there but certainly very historical as well.

The only knock I’ve heard on Hazel is that it can get crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Thanks JayR

Deep creek is on my radar for a good long day. Anyone out there have any info on the gorge above CS 60 on Deep Creek. Wondering what you could expect
    Here is a link to a blog post from a day on that water. The article before and after this one includes more on Deep Creek and I’ve got some older posts about it as well.

http://www.thetroutzone.com/2019/04/...rdner.html?m=1

Feel free to shoot me an email if you have questions about that
    water. Fun place to fish, but I wouldn’t recommend it with elevated flows.
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Thanks JayR

Can I have your stuff if you die You said in your initial post that you wanted to spend a few days in the backcountry of Cataloochee. You do know that you can access the headwaters of the Rough Fork, Palmer, and the Caldwell Fork without driving into the valley right? You can drop into the headwaters of the Caldwell Fork off of the Cataloochee Divide trail, and you can drop into the Rough Fork or Palmer creek off of the Balsam Mountain Heintooga Ridge road. My only question is if the Balsam Heintooga road will be open?

Look at the trails map!

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm

Last edited by flyman; 02-03-2020 at 11:22 AM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    Can I have your stuff if you die

Look at the trails map!

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/maps.htm

It will be like Jeremiah Johnson and Jack Knife, If I am dead and you find my gear its yours. Be sure to check Bumgardner & Enloe that week

Mac at this point in my life there might be 2 sets of gear for someone to find if I walked all the way back in there
    Last edited by flyman; 02-03-2020 at 08:25 PM. Reason: 42
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

I would recommend Big Creek. My first trip ever was at Big Creek on April 15, 1978. It's good for dry fly fishermen and nymphs. From there, you can take a short drive over to Greenbrier which is good as well in Spring.

Jim Parks
    #TailsOfTheSmokies

Big Creek, Deep Creek, Oconoluftee/Bradley Fork. All good fishing that you can drive to.
    Specks: the other pink meat.