Thread: Winter Stream Flooding

Default Winter Stream Flooding

I wonder how this past falls spawn trout survival will be affected by all the flooding in late winter?

Generally speaking, these high-water events we've been having in December/January for the last couple of years do have a significant impact on recruitment of that year's spawn of browns and brookies. A high percentage of the young-of-the-year aren't big enough or strong enough yet to hold their own against the high flow rates, even if they can find a rock to hide under. So, in the next few years following winter flooding you'll generally see lower numbers of fish, but with less food pressure on the available resources, the surviving fish have an opportunity for more growth. The end result, at least for a while, is normally fewer but bigger fish in the streams.

On the other hand, if we don't get a break in these annual flood events in the near future, I'm afraid we might see decreases in the breeding age adults as they age out, and that could have an additional impact on natural reproduction as well. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Stana Claus; 02-15-2020 at 04:31 PM. Reason: grammar
    Fly fishing - it's cheaper than a bass boat!