Thread: Anybody seeing any hatches yet?

Default Anybody seeing any hatches yet?

So I am eagerly anticipating the coming Spring fishing, especially wild fish that know what to do with a dry fly and was wondering if anyone was seeing any hatches on the freestone streams yet? Looking forward to fishing the Quill Gordons when they start. Anyone have any luck with early Spring hatches here in the Southern Appalachians (I'm in N. Ga)? Can't wait to see bugs start coming off. My about-to-be son-in-law has started flyfishing and is good with nymphs but hasn't caught fish on dries yet and I'd like to bring him to the Park to get after some on top. Any tips as to best time/places for dry fly action?
    Thanks,
    Jed Green
    Bamboo flyrods, old four wheel drives, small streams
    "I will make you fishers of men"- Christ
    email: dawgvet2003(at)yahoo(dot)com

I have seen some pics that lead me to believe the hatches have started on a very small scale and sporadically at best in the last few weeks. This is quite common this time of the year when the temps spike a bit and the days get longer.

The best time of the day will be afternoons (or warmest part of the day) at least until we get some stable temps going. Start in the lower elevations, these will get warmer first. Having seen a hatch come up and proceed up the river is a very unique and awesome sight to behold.

Lots of little black stones, smaller caddis, and the occasional blue quill were coming off on Monday. Plenty of fish caught on dry dropper and even a couple nice streamer eats

Thanks for the update hopper! Hopefully I can get up that way soon.
    Bamboo flyrods, old four wheel drives, small streams
    "I will make you fishers of men"- Christ
    email: dawgvet2003(at)yahoo(dot)com