Thread: Reopening

Default Reopening

I'm trying to plan my first trip up for the year. I've usually been twice by now. Does anybody have a rough estimate when Tremont,Greenbriar,Elkmount roads might open up?

I don’t think anyone knows, including the NPS.

Frankly, after what I read and heard about Saturday, it wouldn’t surprise me to see them lock it down again.

in my opinion, and it’s worth what you paid for it, I thinks it’s a minimum of two weeks but what concerns me with that is that it puts us basically at Memorial Day weekend and I have my doubts. Just a guess on my part.

ETA: read this article and pay attention to the pics. So much for social distancing and wearing masks.....

What a crock from the powers that be.....

some people are more equal than others

https://www.wate.com/news/great-smok...-park-reopens/

I really hope we don’t see a resurgence as a result of folks not being cautious. Masks are uncomfortable, constantly being made aware of your distance to others feels strange, and not being allowed to go to some places stinks. However, we need to do our part to keep this disease at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelrod View Post
    I really hope we don’t see a resurgence as a result of folks not being cautious. Masks are uncomfortable, constantly being made aware of your distance to others feels strange, and not being allowed to go to some places stinks. However, we need to do our part to keep this disease at bay.
    The rationale that the NPS has and is using is flawed in my opinion. By closing the park back when they did and keeping parts of it closed right now, only concentrates people more. While the GSMNP was closed, the South Cherokee NF was packed. I would assume the same for the North one as well. By keeping a lot of the other areas inside the GSMNP closed has further concentrated those using the park in other areas.

One area in particular right now is Tremont. I have been fishing the Tremont area for going on 40 plus years and I have never seen it as packed not only with fishermen up and down the river but also the parking area at the end of the road and the parking lot at the Institute. It was even more packed this weekend than last even though that was a holiday weekend.

The rest of the park needs to be opened back up and this will help disperse people even more.

I'm here camping and fishing this week and I to have fished Tremont for years now. And if you don't get there by a little after daylight it will be packed already. Tuesday morning I was going to go to Lynn Camp I got there at 7:30 and all the parking places were gone and 2 trucks with horse trailers were trying to figure out how to turn around and leave because people had parked so messed up that they couldn't get around the loop to go back out. Wednesday I decided to try Greenbriar well it was worse than Tremont with swimmers did manage to fine a place to stop there and scratch out a few fish.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wt View Post
    I'm here camping and fishing this week and I to have fished Tremont for years now. And if you don't get there by a little after daylight it will be packed already. Tuesday morning I was going to go to Lynn Camp I got there at 7:30 and all the parking places were gone and 2 trucks with horse trailers were trying to figure out how to turn around and leave because people had parked so messed up that they couldn't get around the loop to go back out. Wednesday I decided to try Greenbriar well it was worse than Tremont with swimmers did manage to fine a place to stop there and scratch out a few fish.
    I know the feeling.

Late Wednesday afternoon I decided to go to Tremont after work. Thinking the crowds would be way down as well as hardly anyone fishing. Little did I know this was not the case. I saw about as many fishing Wednesday afternoon as the previous Sunday.

Until the other parts of the park are fully opened this is what it will be until then.