Thread: First Day Out

Default First Day Out

A buddy and I made it out to the park today for the first time since it closed. We went WAY up one of the closed roads. Took a lot of effort to put in the miles, but it was worth it. Didn't see anyone else that far up. The fishing was pretty typical. Picked up rainbows from likely-looking runs. Nothing huge. Wish I could figure out how to post photos. Saw a few bugs coming off. Mainly fished drys (never-sink caddis and elk hairs) with good success. Tried green and pink weenies with no luck; maybe too early. Did pick up a few on small BHPT droppers. Honestly we were expecting a record-setting day given the fish probably hadn't seen a human in a couple months and the conditions were perfect, but it was a beautiful day nonetheless.

Not having the usual constant parade of cars driving by the river was incredible. Totally different experience than prior trips before the road closure, even in off-season. Lots of people enjoying walking and biking the closed road down low. Just perfect solitude up high. I know the road can't stay closed forever, but it sure would be nice if the park would set aside a half-day a week or every other week for walkers/bikers/fishermen to enjoy the quiet without the cars.

We were up there last week. Some of the days fishing was really good, others, not so much. I think the change in atmospheric pressure from weather systems pushing through affects their feeding habits. Just a wild a$$ guess on my part to explain why I had a hard time catching fish on a blue bird day.

Biggest impact on the fishing for us was whether we were fishing behind someone or not. When we first dropped in to the water we thought we had gone pretty far up. Fished for about an hour and fishing was only fair. Left the water and kept moving up. Saw another guy around the bend and it became clear we had been fishing second-hand water. We went even higher up and the fishing was much better as we were fishing untouched water. Fishing second hand water is never productive.