Thread: South Holston Next Week 6/11-14/20

Default South Holston Next Week 6/11-14/20

I'm headed to float the South Holston next week for my birthday present to me! I have never fished it before and will be getting there Thursday and staying with in walking distance of the island. I plan on swinging by South Holston Fly Shop to grab a couple of things some info about my float trip. Ive been tying sulphurs both dry and nymphs for a couple of days.
    A couple of questions please,
    1. What is a safe wading flow on the South Holston? ( I can find what TVA is releasing, but can't seem to find a safe CFPS anywhere.)
    2. And if they are releasing are there places I can fish Thursday before my float trip on Friday? ( I'm not looking for hotspots or honey hole, just basic intel. I can figure it out.
    Thanks in advance for any kind of info you can or are willing to feed me!
    "Be patient and calm - for no one can catch fish in anger." - Herbert Hoover

Default Fishing the South Holston

Quote Originally Posted by TroutR View Post
    I'm headed to float the South Holston next week for my birthday present to me! I have never fished it before and will be getting there Thursday and staying with in walking distance of the island. I plan on swinging by South Holston Fly Shop to grab a couple of things some info about my float trip. Ive been tying sulphurs both dry and nymphs for a couple of days.
    A couple of questions please,
    1. What is a safe wading flow on the South Holston? ( I can find what TVA is releasing, but can't seem to find a safe CFPS anywhere.)
    2. And if they are releasing are there places I can fish Thursday before my float trip on Friday? ( I'm not looking for hotspots or honey hole, just basic intel. I can figure it out.
    Thanks in advance for any kind of info you can or are willing to feed me!
    TroutR, you can wade fish the South Holston fairly safely when they are running up to 400 CFS, but it begins to get risky after that. Zero generation will put you in the 200-300 CFS range , which is what they are running at the moment. That is good wading depth. If they are doing pulses you need to get out of the water for about 20-30 minutes while the pulse goes through. Absolutely "do not try to wade" when they are running a full generator. That is when you will float fish. Good luck.

Ginseng Man
    Hugh Hartsell