Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I threw all of my conventional fly fishing rules to the wind today, and it worked!

I almost always fish woolly boogers or most other streamers downstream. I have had very little luck fishing them upstream like you would a dry or nymph.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

As the saying goes, "rules are made to be broken". That's one of the reasons I avoid arguing with others about how to, but instead I go off my experience, realizing that I'm still learning after 42 yrs. One think experience has tought me.... trout don't know the "rules".

Of your rules, the last two I find the least applicable depending on the situation.

4. NEVER hold the bug up in the current: A few years ago, I was casting a black woolybooger down and across thru a deep hole. Nothing was biting and nothing even showed itself. I remember all those times looking in pools and seeing trout hold steady in the current apparently feeding. So, I thought I would imitate a small trout just holding steady in the current and BANG! I brought an 18" brown to the net. I find different retrieves, including dead drifts work from time to time.

The FISH AREN'T FEEDING IN THE FAST CURRENTS ANYWAY. I always take a thermometer with me when fishing in the Smokies. It tells me where I can expect trout to be holding. For example, again a few years back I was fishing a small creek on a predicted 95 degree day (cooler in the mtns) and by noon the thermometer showed the water was 65 degrees, I thought a bit warm for the elevation. So, realizing warmer water holds less oxygen I focused on the white water and cast a greenie weenie into a waterfall which dumped fast moving water into a pocket. As the fly appeared out of the whitewater, so did a large mouth (jaws music). It took the fly and turned back to the waterfall. I set the hook and the fight was on. After a tough fight, I landed a 22" brown. Remember, there are times that trout will hold in faster water and times they lay in slack water, times they'll be in the sun and times they'll be in the shade. I've seen them about everywhere except sunbathing on the bank! But I guess that's where the rattlers are and, like me wish to avoid them.

Jim Parks
    Instagram: TailsOfTheSmokies

This is a little off your topic. My wife and I hope to be in NM in September and plan on the Rio Castilla and Valle Vidal. Any advice?

Fish don't read books on intricate fly fishing tactics

[IMG][/IMG]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    This is a little off your topic. My wife and I hope to be in NM in September and plan on the Rio Castilla and Valle Vidal. Any advice?

You will LOVE the Rio Costilla! It is mostly open meadow fishing similar to what you might see in Idaho or Montana. Of course, you are after the Rio Grande Cutthroat, although there are plenty of "Cut bows" in the water. September is a wonderful time - the mornings will be quite chilly. You will catch a ton more fish with a dropper rig. Big bug on top and a copper john 15 inches below. But they will take both bugs. You will catch most fish right near the banks - they will be hiding under all of those banks of grass. These are all wild fish. You can catch 50 on a good day. Anywhere from 9 to 13 inches, maybe a larger one every now and then.

Don't forget to fish Comanche Creek. It feeds into the Costilla. These are pure Rio Grande Cutthroats, and the water is so small it does't even look like it's worth fishing. But we catch fish in there that are 12 to 14 inches all of the time. You have to be extremely stealthy and only use dry flies. Nymphs don't work there. My technique is to approach a turn and cast in an area that I can literally barely even look around to see. that's the key. Stick with it - it will be worth it!

If you want lodging, good food, and a good guide for cheap, this is your guy. https://costillacreek.com/. Aurelio can take you for a half day and get you going. He will make you lunch, cook up a gourmet dinner, and feed you a hearty breakfast each day. He's got cool lodging, too. Best of all he is very reasonable.

Watch for bear activity. And there are lions up there too!

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerFlyFisher View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

You will LOVE the Rio Costilla! It is mostly open meadow fishing similar to what you might see in Idaho or Montana. Of course, you are after the Rio Grande Cutthroat, although there are plenty of "Cut bows" in the water. September is a wonderful time - the mornings will be quite chilly. You will catch a ton more fish with a dropper rig. Big bug on top and a copper john 15 inches below. But they will take both bugs. You will catch most fish right near the banks - they will be hiding under all of those banks of grass. These are all wild fish. You can catch 50 on a good day. Anywhere from 9 to 13 inches, maybe a larger one every now and then.

Don't forget to fish Comanche Creek. It feeds into the Costilla. These are pure Rio Grande Cutthroats, and the water is so small it does't even look like it's worth fishing. But we catch fish in there that are 12 to 14 inches all of the time. You have to be extremely stealthy and only use dry flies. Nymphs don't work there. My technique is to approach a turn and cast in an area that I can literally barely even look around to see. that's the key. Stick with it - it will be worth it!

If you want lodging, good food, and a good guide for cheap, this is your guy. https://costillacreek.com/. Aurelio can take you for a half day and get you going. He will make you lunch, cook up a gourmet dinner, and feed you a hearty breakfast each day. He's got cool lodging, too. Best of all he is very reasonable.

Watch for bear activity. And there are lions up there too!

That's exactly what I had hoped to hear. Unfortunately, we punted our trip to next year, same time frame. I'm keeping this info and showing it to my wife. She'll be excited about too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Bear View Post
    That's exactly what I had hoped to hear. Unfortunately, we punted our trip to next year, same time frame. I'm keeping this info and showing it to my wife. She'll be excited about too.
    Well I got to fish the Valle Vidal last week and it was GREAT! Hooked a lot of nice rainbows, browns, and an occasional cutthroat. My son caught a 12 inch cut. Beautiful fish. We also happened on to a fawn carcass with accompanying mountain lion tracks.

My son went back up there yesterday with some friends for one more trip before school starts. Lucky dog.

Glad you got into some fish. Been way too long since I have caught a cutthroat.

Dang! Good for you! Iím bummed that we had to cancel but next year awaits.