Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kids rod/reel recommendations

Default Kids rod/reel recommendations

I have an 8 year old niece who has decided that for the moment, she’s interested in learning to fly fish. She’s in St Louis so I can’t send her into Little River like I’d want to. I said I’d get her an appropriate sized rig so she can start out. Do you folks have any recommendations? (I learned as an adult)

Here is a kid specific fly rod:

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/echogecko/

How much money do you want to spend?
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    Here is a kid specific fly rod:

https://echoflyfishing.com/project/echogecko/
    I would second the Echo Gecko for a kid!
    “Every human has four endowments- self awareness, conscience, independent will, & creative imagination.
    These give us the ultimate human freedom... The
    power
    to choose, to respond, to change.”

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    How much money do you want to spend?
    I spent a couple hundred on my starter rod. I can do that and more if the rig is something she can use for a while. I can’t guarantee she will use it more than once or twice. Hopefully she will love it, but who knows with kids.

I am mostly wondering about a good length and weight. I have a 6” 2wt for small streams but I’d be kind of terrified to have that in her hands. It’s delicate! If I get a nicer, useful rig, I can see my brother in law “borrowing” it!

Orvis, Echo, Reddington, Temple Fork etc just about all have kits that include rod, line, and reel for that price. I think something in the 7' to 8' length that cast a 4 or 5 wt line would be fine for her in the Smokeys. A shorter lighter line weight rod takes a little more skill to cast. I would buy something she can grow into vs something kid specific. She will loose interest in the Nemo/Barbie stuff quickly when she's 12 or 13 If all else fails it becomes your backup/friend rod.
    Last edited by flyman; 06-26-2020 at 07:59 PM. Reason: 42
    Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by flyman View Post
    Orvis, Echo, Reddington, Temple Fork etc just about all have kits that include rod, line, and reel for that price. I think something in the 7' to 8' length that cast a 4 or 5 wt line would be fine for her in the Smokeys. A shorter lighter line weight rod takes a little more skill to cast. I would buy something she can grow into vs something kid specific. She will loose interest in the Nemo/Barbie stuff quickly when she's 12 or 13 If all else fails it becomes your backup/friend rod.
    That’s what I was looking for. Thanks for the advice.

The Echo Gecko rod a couple of other guys mentions falls within those specifications as well. I'm sure it would be fine if she would prefer something like that rod.
    Last edited by flyman; 06-29-2020 at 04:00 PM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    Salvador Dali

I recently guided a Dad and his 10 year old son out on the drift boat. Dad had bought his son a new Orvis Encounter 8'6' 5wt combo to learn how to fly fish with. I was pretty impressed with the combo and how well balanced it was. He picked up the basic cast pretty quickly and soon was into several fish. For $170, It is a rod combo that can be used for trout and light bass and bream. Highly recommend it.