Thread: Grand Slam!

Default Grand Slam!

I joined the Hiwassee Chapter of TU about 25 years ago. I had a job that gave me time off during the week. So...I asked the group at a chapter meeting where to fish in the park. One fellow said the Middle Prong of LR or Tremont as many call it. So off to the park. BTW, gas was 84 cents a gallon! I lost a nice fish just after making the turn on the Tremont Road. Fishing with an elk hair caddis proved to be the fly of the day. I ended up with five rainbows, four browns and two brook trout. Been meaning to go back and try again. The park is one of my favorite places to fish as there are so many opportunities there. Pondering fishing the Horseshoe sometime...if I can talk the wife into either going with me or letting me go with someone. Volunteers? I'm retired so I can fish during the week. Saw the Cade's Cove Road is still closed on Wednesday morning for the bike riders. Might need to just fish a part of it as I understand it takes a good day to fish the whole place.. Good fishing and tight lines!
    John Torchick

You caught brook trout and brown trout on Tremont? That must have been a long time ago. The only brook trout I know of in that area is above the falls on Lynn Camp and Samís creek. Iíve never caught a brown at Tremont...only rainbows.

Yep, all three in one day. They were caught on a tan EHC. July, 1980, produced a 12.5 lb. brown trout. Don Kirk's book states that some of the largest brown trout are caught in the MPLR. They don't grow big by being careless. I was with a friend who saw a big brownie but wouldn't hit anything he cast. Going to try again this spring. "Guided" several years ago at TU's Trout Camp. The boy I was with caught his limit of brookies...the only limit that day. Again, tan EHC. One 9 inch brookie was caught upstream from us. Sam's Creek is on the list, too.
    My first brookie was caught in a small pool just off the Tellico Road in one of the feeder streams. Again, EHC.
    John Torchick