Thread: Streamer fly line?

Default Streamer fly line?

Very new to the streamer game. I am looking for suggestions/recommendations for a streamer fly line for a fast action 8 weight 9 rod.

This will be a dedicated rig for the Clinch and Holston, primarily boat fishing.

I am very confused on what would be the best option fly line. Floating with a sinking leader, sinking tip or full sinking line. Lots of choices here and I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks!

IMHO, all three are options for fishing streamers. It would depend on how deep you are fishing the streamer. This would dictate the latter two you mention if you are working a deep pool from a boat. I don't fish real deep water so, for me, a real long leader and tippet and weighted streamer fit the bill. An option would be to have two reels with the appropriate line or even two rods rigged accordingly. I watched a bass tourney Saturday. One fellow had the front deck covered with rods...I counted seven rods plus the one he was using.
    John Torchick

Thanks for the info.

As to how deep, just a guess, but anywhere from 3-5 feet. It is looking like a sinking line is most likely in order but I want to see what others may be using. There are so many variables I know, but having another rod may be the other option as well. Save the 8 weight for the deep stuff and I have two other 6 weights and a 7 weight.

Quote Originally Posted by JayR View Post
    Thanks for the info.

As to how deep, just a guess, but anywhere from 3-5 feet. It is looking like a sinking line is most likely in order but I want to see what others may be using. There are so many variables I know, but having another rod may be the other option as well. Save the 8 weight for the deep stuff and I have two other 6 weights and a 7 weight.
    The more sinking line you have in the casting set up the more difficult it is to lift and re cast in minimal false casts. Ideally you could lift and re cast in one stroke, but if you have a lot of sinking line or heavily weighted flies that can be a real task. If rivers are moving fast at generation getting the fly back in the water and down deep quickly is the goal.

Thus a streamer specialty line with a heavy front taper (to deliver larger wind resistant flies) and @ ten feet of super fast sink tip integrated in the tip section is a good option. You can cut the tip back some if necessary to get the quicker delivery. The serious streamer guys i know are using a super fast sink tip and use shorter leaders of clear tippet attached to the integrated head, like 5-8 feet maybe depending on clarity etc.

BTW, I bet Big J never owned a streamer, let alone fish one

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
    The more sinking line you have in the casting set up the more difficult it is to lift and re cast in minimal false casts. Ideally you could lift and re cast in one stroke, but if you have a lot of sinking line or heavily weighted flies that can be a real task. If rivers are moving fast at generation getting the fly back in the water and down deep quickly is the goal.

Thus a streamer specialty line with a heavy front taper (to deliver larger wind resistant flies) and @ ten feet of super fast sink tip integrated in the tip section is a good option. You can cut the tip back some if necessary to get the quicker delivery. The serious streamer guys i know are using a super fast sink tip and use shorter leaders of clear tippet attached to the integrated head, like 5-8 feet maybe depending on clarity etc.

BTW, I bet Big J never owned a streamer, let alone fish one
    Thanks for all of that info, Joe!!!

My father with a streamer rod?LOL You know that answer!

When I first started many years ago, his comment was, "if it doesn't hit a thunderhead or female adams, they ain't hitting" I don't think he even hardly nymph fished to be honest.

Then again, he was able to fish the Little T in its prime, those were the days.

[QUOTE=JayR;122727]Thanks for all of that info, Joe!!!
    "if it doesn't hit a thunderhead or female adams, they ain't hitting"

Yes that was his philosophy. Well part of it. The rest of his philosophy would take up to much space on here and require some serious editorial work to be passable in here . One of the funniest men that ever drew a breath. Nobody could hold court like him, sitting on a tailgate, perhaps(??) with a cold beverage.

You might find this interesting, he's the go to guy for streamer fishing for me. I like his new streamer lines too.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzHssNH4zvk
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Thanks for that video. I have the Airflo Galloup nymph line to throw double nymph indicator rigs and it is a great line. Throws them like a laser and the distance you can get is really good. I highly recommend that line.

I have a video tape (shows how old it is) that shows casting a sinking line- roll cast to bring it to the surface and then execute a regular cast. For 3-5 feet, I wouldn't consider a sinking line or sinking tip. I fish deeper than that on the Hiwassee with long leader, tippet and weighted fly as a woolly bugger, bead head nymph, etc.
    John Torchick

I have had a somewhat-reasonable degree of casting success with streamers by underlining my 8wt TFO Mangrove one line weight using a Scientific Anglers WF-200-S sinking line with about 30 ft of sinking tip, after starting out with a 6wt rod with a category VI 10 ft sinktip on the recommendation of Kelly Galloup in one of his books. For a while I used a 250-grain Scientific Anglers 10-foot sink tip (labeled for 7-8 wt rods) on my Mangrove, then switched to the Scientific Anglers WF-200-S (6-7) weight sink tip. I spent several hours casting streamers with the Mangrove on the South Holston recently, and it was more workout than I wanted. You may already know this, but streamer lines are rated on their sink rate as well as the rod weight. VI is the fastest sink rate I have seen. Try to make absolutely no more than one forward false cast to get some line out of the rod tip, then double-haul and shoot for distance. Ditto Joe Congleton on the short leaders. Kelly Galloup recommended about 4 feet of leader at one time. He also used to recommend sink tips, then changed to full-sinking lines. YMMV.