Thread: Looking for someone local to re-wrap my father's fly rod

Default Looking for someone local to re-wrap my father's fly rod

I still have my father's Browning Silaflex rod. Overall it is in okay condition with the exception of the wraps. Does anyone know someone locally that could do this? I have no idea what the cost may be, this is more sentimental to me that what it is worth as Silaflex's really are not collectable. I don't want to spend a fortune but would like to see it in better condition.

Anyone?

I live in Cleveland. Built rods for seven years. Part would depend on what coating is on the threads, removing the old thread and coating without damaging the blank. I could recommend a top builder. PM if you would like contact info for him.
    Sentimental is the name of the game. I have a reel that was my father's. Can't get parts for it and hate to scrap it. Several rods and reels in the racks were his.
    John Torchick

Quote Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
    I live in Cleveland. Built rods for seven years. Part would depend on what coating is on the threads, removing the old thread and coating without damaging the blank. I could recommend a top builder. PM if you would like contact info for him.
    Sentimental is the name of the game. I have a reel that was my father's. Can't get parts for it and hate to scrap it. Several rods and reels in the racks were his.

This forum is not capable of PM's. The threads are coming off in places as I am sure the finish is thin. It is a glass rod if that matters.
    Last edited by JayR; 10-14-2020 at 06:53 AM.

Hey John, What reel do you need parts for? Thx, Brett

Jay I wish I could help you, but my friend that was an excellent wrapper passed away a few years ago - sigh.

Bail spring for Shimano Bass One spinning reel which is about 40 years old. If the design folks had a bit of common sense they would use an existing part. Example- Needed a plastic part for a '66 Olds. Parts man said it was a common part on ALL GM cars for seven years! Had a bin full in stock.
    Edit- Try Steve Clark. If he can't do it, he will know someone who can help.
    http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/
    John Torchick

Default Reel Parts

Quote Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
    Bail spring for Shimano Bass One spinning reel which is about 40 years old. If the design folks had a bit of common sense they would use an existing part. Example- Needed a plastic part for a '66 Olds. Parts man said it was a common part on ALL GM cars for seven years! Had a bin full in stock.
    Edit- Try Steve Clark. If he can't do it, he will know someone who can help.
    http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/
    John,

Matt's my goto guy for parts - https://matsreelrepair.com/#