Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nataional park record visitors!

Default Nataional park record visitors!

News Channel 9 in Chattanooga had a news item about the record visitors this summer. Showed people shoulder-to-shoulder in one photo. Social distancing? Another photo showed cars parked along both sides of one road. Anyway, I thought about fishing the park this fall but checked it off the list. Heard it took several hours just to get through Cades Cove. What have any of you experienced?
    John Torchick

Been pretty crowded !

Just as pretty much always, if you get off the beaten path and/or hike in a bit the fishing is no more crowded now than in the last few years.

Remember too that most of the visitors concentrate at the Gatlinburg entrance then followed by the Cherokee entrance. Stay away from those two and the crowds lighten up considerably.

As for Cades Cove, are you referencing Abrams Creek to fish?

The Smokies isn't Cades Cove or Elkmont. There are hundreds of miles of isolated creeks where you will hardly ever see another person. Especially on the NC side. Except there aren't any fish on the NC side, so no need to come here.
    Specks: the other pink meat.

Quote Originally Posted by just a hillbilly View Post
    The Smokies isn't Cades Cove or Elkmont. There are hundreds of miles of isolated creeks where you will hardly ever see another person. Especially on the NC side. Except there aren't any fish on the NC side, so no need to come here.
    Yep no fish at all in NC.

I know there are hundreds of miles of places to fish. Fished the park many times in the past. Have one I would like to fish. My concern is getting into the park, not having to fight traffic and finding a place to park. When the virus thing started, traffic was horrible along the Tellico with people stopping and blocking traffic on the bridge at Bald River Falls or walking down the middle of the road.
    At this time, I'm writing off the park when/if things improve. I live in Cleveland so there are a lot of places within an hour's drive.
    John Torchick

Quote Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
    I know there are hundreds of miles of places to fish. Fished the park many times in the past. Have one I would like to fish. My concern is getting into the park, not having to fight traffic and finding a place to park. When the virus thing started, traffic was horrible along the Tellico with people stopping and blocking traffic on the bridge at Bald River Falls or walking down the middle of the road.
    At this time, I'm writing off the park when/if things improve. I live in Cleveland so there are a lot of places within an hour's drive.

I was down there in Tellico when all of that was going on. It was going on because the GSMNP was completely shut down. That was THE only place to go.

I have been in the Park since before it opened and frankly parking is no worse now as opposed to years past. Now if you are only trying to fish Little River along the road there are times parking can get tough but since all of the leaves have fallen it is really quite nice.

Speaking of Tellico, the bridge crowd won't have an opportunity to mess up traffic, the bridge is coming down and being replaced in 2021 unless that has changed.

If and when I fish the park, it will be some of feeders into the main LR.
    John Torchick

Stay away from NC. The China flu has run wild, there's no fish or toilet paper either
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Hmmm. Plenty of leaves. Just be sure you know what poison ivy looks like.
    John Torchick