Thread: Friday January 1-2021-It's coming! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition

Default Friday January 1-2021-It's coming! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition

BIGSUR'S NEW YEAR'S DAY TRADITION
    9th Year Anniversary!
    Friday January 1st 2021
    Official Announcement

"WHAT...YA THINK WE FORGOT?"
    Now more then ever this event is perfect for social distancing and general irreverence in the woods!

"Of course we have had to make a few changes, masks of course are required when stream side. We are asking people not to bring food
    for sharing due to food preparation concerns this year. We will have individual soft drinks and water available, feel free to bring your own adult beverages.
    Any snacks we provide will be individually wrapped and handed out responsibly.

"The Great Smoky Mountains most highly anticipated event of the year is only 2 days away!"
    Friday, January 1st 2021 New Year's Day at Metcalf Bottoms Picnic area in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

"Yes, the New Year is just around the corner and the passing of another year! Once again I have maintained my youthful appearance and physique while the rest of my friends and cohorts have
    deteriorated and aged terribly."-Bigsur

This is the ninth year officially for Big Sur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition and I invite everyone to stop by Metcalf Bottoms picnic area off Little River Rd between 12:00 and 4:00 pm Friday January 1st, 2021 New Year's Day, throw a line and get your fishing karma on for 2021. This is the very description of unorganized and unsponsored by any group, just fishin fanatics gathering for a minute of casting, telling tall tales, outright lies and recounting the last year's escapades.

As usual no event would be complete without a competition, and as tradition demands we will be competing for whoever catches the largest fish, uhh...make that any fish! Once again the winner will receive the coveted Herb's Welding Shop hat and braggin rights for a year, where he or she will than have their picture taken in the hat, which we immediately take back cause it's the only hat we have! In addition the winner receives a six pack of Armour's finest Vienna Sausage {DISCLOSURE: Armour denies any affiliation with this event and asks that we change to Hormel Potted Meat]

Bring your drinks, cigars, family or dog and stop by for a minute, throw a line (bring a fishing license, we may even have an extra Martin rod or reel with orange line to make your New Year's cast if you forget your gear). If you wear waders you will be automatically entered in the "That Fool Gonna Drown Pool", where wagering is allowed on who goes under first! Rain or shine it's on like donkey kong, only snow and closed park gates will change the location. {If Park is closed due to weather-alternate location will be posted}

Last edited by bigsur; 12-30-2020 at 05:31 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

9th Year Anniversary!
    Friday January 1st 2021
    Official Announcement

Now more then ever this event is perfect for social distancing and general irreverence in the woods!

"What angler would not be proud and excited to take home the grand prize of America''a finest meat product Armour's Vienna Sausage. The original American product that has fueled more outdoor activities then beer and peanut butter!"

"Of course we have had to make a few changes, masks of course are required when stream side. We are asking people not to bring food
    for sharing due to food preparation concerns this year. We will have individual soft drinks and water available, feel free to bring your own adult beverages.

"The Great Smoky Mountains most highly anticipated event of the year is only 2 days away!"
    Friday, January 1st 2021 New Year's Day at Metcalf Bottoms Picnic area in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

"Yes, the New Year is just around the corner and the passing of another year! Once again I have maintained my youthful appearance and physique while the rest of my friends and cohorts have
    Last edited by bigsur; 12-30-2020 at 05:31 PM.

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Default 16 DAYS TO GO "2019 Winner Chris Turner"

11 DAYS TO GO!

9th Year Anniversary!
    Friday January 1st 2021
    Official Announcement

"Check out 2019 Big Sur's New Year's Day Karma Winner, Chris Turner takin home the bacon... uhhh Armour Vienna Sausage!"
    There is nothing more American then potted meat and a Smoky Mountain trout while sporting Herb's Welding Shop Hat!

This is the ninth year officially for Big Sur's New Year's Day Karma Tradition and I invite everyone to stop by Metcalf Bottoms picnic area off Little River Rd between 12:00 and 4:00 pm Friday January 1st, 2021 New Year's Day, throw a line and get your fishing karma on for 2021. This is the very description of unorganized and unsponsored by any group, just fishin fanatics gathering for a minute of casting, telling tall tales, outright lies and recounting the last year's escapades.

As usual no event would be complete without a competition, and as tradition demands we will be competing for whoever catches the largest fish, uhh...make that any fish! Once again the winner will receive the coveted Herb's Welding Shop hat and braggin rights for a year, where he or she will than have their picture taken in the hat, which we immediately take back cause it's the only hat we have! In addition the winner receives a six pack of Armour's finest Vienna Sausage {DISCLOSURE: Armour denies any affiliation with this event and asks that we change to Hormel Potted Meat]

Bring your drinks, cigars, family or dog and stop by for a minute, throw a line (bring a fishing license, we may even have an extra Martin rod or reel with orange line to make your New Year's cast if you forget your gear). If you wear waders you will be automatically entered in the "That Fool Gonna Drown Pool", where wagering is allowed on who goes under first! Rain or shine it's on like donkey kong, only snow and closed park gates will change the location. {If Park is closed due to weather-alternate location will be posted}

Last edited by bigsur; 12-30-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Default "rain or snow we go!"

9th Year Anniversary!
    Friday January 1st 2021
    Official Announcement

TOMORROW!!
    "RAIN OR SNOW WE GO....AS LONG AS PARK IS OPEN!

WEATHER WISE WE ARE LOOKING AT VERY WARM TEMPERATURES WITH SHOWERS IN MORNING THEN CLOUDY SKIES.
    DRESS ACCORDING TO CONDITIONS AND ALWAYS HAVE RAIN GEAR IN THE SMOKIES!

for sharing due to food preparation concerns this year. We will have free individually sealed retail snacks, soft drinks and water available, feel free to bring your own adult beverages.

"The Great Smoky Mountains most highly anticipated event of the year is only 1 day away!"

Last edited by bigsur; 12-31-2020 at 11:59 AM.

Default UPDATE 1-4-21 "We Have a Winner! Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma 2021

BIGSUR'S NEW YEAR'S DAY KARMA TRADITION
    9th Year Anniversary!
    Friday January 1st 2021
    Official Announcement

"We Have A Winner!"

We are pleased to announce the 2021 Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma Contest was won by first time competitor, Jim Parks on a rainy but warmest day ever of the 9 year history of this infamous and slightly shady event of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Jim Parks with understandably certain apprehension and caution has now officially become a part of the tribe. Jim immediately gained the good luck and fortune of all Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma winners by selling two autographed copies of his recently released book "Tails of The Smokies" that afternoon to Bigsur and Rich. Of course we finagled a handful of flies to offset the expenditure of our pitifully small wallets!

Jim of course had his picture taken in the equally infamous winners hat, "HERB'S WELDING SHOP", which we immediately took back as it is the only one we have! Ahhh... sorry Jim fame is fleeting, enjoy this year!
    Jim will also receive the 2021 Bigsur's New Year's Day Karma plaque and from the good folks at Armour's, a six pack of America's finest meat product Vienna sausages once we have bailed Duckypaddler out of jail and he completes the plaque.

Jim Parks on left receiving the customary Laurel & Hardy handshake from the honorable but dubious Bigsur.
    GSMTU members Rich & Sue behind Jim removing flies and trying to get my $20 bucks back from Jim's pack while I distract him!

Jim Parks winning rainbow! Check out the tail on this fine wild Smoky Mountain's specimen....uhh the fish not Jim's.

Kris & Thunderhead sitting out the rain!

Thunderhead explaining to Bigsur how he should open Bigsur's Woodford Reserve Double 0 to avoid hypothermia on a 63 degree day!

Kris explaining rain or not he was gonna fish!

Kris attempting to win the "Most Tenacious" award!

Bigsur welcoming the local children to his secret fishing hole..."Get the *%*# outta here ya little crumb snatchers!"

STAY TUNED MORE TO COME!
    Last edited by bigsur; 01-05-2021 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks BigSur & everyone involved. The traditional New Years Day food was excellent as well as the shot cup of Woodford. The weather was great for fishing (rain) but gusting winds & tourists made things challenging.

2021 found me living the Blind Hog Theory for trout fishing in the GSMNP. I hope to return in 2022 to spend 5 mins in the Herbís Welding Shop hat!

Jim Parks
    Grampus

Quote Originally Posted by Grampus View Post
    Thanks BigSur & everyone involved. The traditional New Years Day food was excellent as well as the shot cup of Woodford. The weather was great for fishing (rain) but gusting winds & tourists made things challenging.

2021 found me living the Blind Hog Theory for trout fishing in the GSMNP. I hope to return in 2022 to spend 5 mins in the Herbís Welding Shop hat!

Jim Parks
    Grampus
    Congratulations, Jim! It was a real pleasure meeting you!
    "Yea, though I walk through the shadow of the mountain. I will fear no trout: for thou art with me; thy fly rod and thy wading staff they comfort me."
    Email Kris