Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Partner to fish the Horseshoe?

Thanks for the info.
    Edit- I have Dropbox but it would require moving photos from the file to DB then on to the forum. Would be nice if one could download photos directly from the files to the reply. Have this on other forums and it's handy.
    Last edited by Knothead; 02-26-2021 at 01:39 PM.
    John Torchick

I would add to JayR's excellent comments that the Cades Cove Loop Rd will be closed all day on Wednesday to motor vehicles and open as usual all other days. The same schedule as 2020.

The last time I did the big Horseshoe, I rode a bike back on a Saturday before the loop was opened to traffic. About 1/2 way around the horseshoe, this old dude and his 2 college linebacker looking sons came tromping along up the creek accusing my friend and I of "cutting across the middle of the shoe" to get in front of them. As he yelled as us (with his muscle at his back) he said there was NO WAY we beat him back because he was the first car in line at the gate. When I quietly explained that we'd ridden bikes back before the gate opened, his son's tried to quieten him down, but to little avail. It got to a point where I had my hand on my large hunting knife I had on me that day! (People be crazy!!)

Good Luck and Be Safe!!

Jim Parks

I recall that the CC loop was only for bikers for part of Wednesday and Saturday. Did this change?
    John Torchick

John, last year they changed Cades Cove closures from the traditional "closed till 10 am" on Wed & Saturday to closed all day on Wednesday. Saturdays is open to traffic when the gate opens, like the rest of the week (except Wed). They decided to continue that policy for 2021. This usually begins the 2nd week of May thru the 2nd week of September, or thereabouts.

I don't really fish Abrams anymore, but I do ride my bike from Maryville to around the Cove and back on occasion.

Jim Parks
    "Tails of the Smokies"

Thanks. That's a ride and a half. Neighbor in Louisiana used to ride about 25-26 miles every Saturday morning. I used to have an Italian bike. The best part was the 5 HP engine.
    John Torchick