Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partner to fish the Horseshoe?

Default Partner to fish the Horseshoe?

Actually, two questions here. First, is there a good time to fish the Horseshoe on Abrams Creek? I have a hatch chart for reference. I understand it takes all day to fish the entire length. Due to undergrowth, one can't just get out but have to backtrack or wade to the end to exit the creek. Second, would like for someone to accompany me as my wife thinks I'm too old to fish alone. I'm not that old, BTW. At least, not compared to a tree. I live in Cleveland so it's about two hours for me to Cades Cove.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    John Torchick

Looks like forum is down again!
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

It’s been years since I fished the Horseshoe, you do know there’s actually two, the little and the big? Both pretty much take all day but especially the big horseshoe. The reason for not being able to get out is due mainly to the extreme steep slopes on the sides and the distance from the trail, in short, don’t do it.

Now having said that probably the best time to fish either one is when there’s as much daylight as possible. The other complication to this is the fact that on certain days the loop road doesn’t open up to vehicle traffic until later in the morning after the bikes have made their way around the loop. This doesn’t help, so you need to go on a day that you can get in there as early as possible. May to June should afford the longest daylight hours. The things to watch out for are high/low water and the temps especially the later towards summer you go as the water can warm up pretty quick in the cove.

The other thing about Abrams is the wading difficulty. The bottom is full of long sloping rock ledges laden with silt. It’s not if you will fall, but how many times. Probably the best wading boots would be felt with spikes, I use felt only and on Abrams and they will slide. Abrams has the highest ph of any stream in the park and therefore has more algae than any other stream. IMHO, Abrams is the hardest wading stream in the park. I say that having only not fished the Deep creek, Hazel creek and Eagle creek drainage's. Pretty much all of the rest I have fished.

The other issue that’s peculiar to Abrams are the sides of the stream, what looks like areas you can get to the side and wade around some of the bad areas is actually very deep silt with sticks and debris that will stab your legs when you sink down through it. Not that I’m trying to keep you out of there, you just need to be prepared and I heartily agree with your wife, DO NOT WADE IT ALONE. To do so could end badly.

In my youth and foolishness many years ago I did just that and it was tough, very tough. God protects fools and he indeed protected me that day. The only thing that saved me was being able to get back in there very early, even before the loop was open. I had a way in back then that helped me “circumvent” official opening time. That way is no longer available. I’m talking 35-40 years ago.

As an aside, I did go back to Abrams about 4 years ago, but did not go far back and nowhere near the horseshoe. After falling and sliding a bunch of times it didn’t take long to remember why I had not fished it in 30 years. It’s tough.

ETA: As I recall back in 2016 or 2017, a couple of guys from LRO went back there to fish and found a body. The guy was from NH as I recall and it took most of the day to get the body out. It’s my understanding that he was back there fishing alone and died. Don’t know if he drowned or just had a heart attack, someone else may be able to add the details. I just looked it back up, it was 2017.
    Last edited by JayR; 02-25-2021 at 08:16 AM.

Have you ever fished Abrams Ck before? Jay gave you a lot of good information
    Last edited by flyman; 02-26-2021 at 03:57 AM. Reason: genitics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Only fished a small section not far from the parking lot. Yes, Jay gave a lot of info from his experiences there. Thanks, Jay. Looking to fish some other places. My "weakness" is brook trout. First time I fished the park, I was told by a fellow TU member to fish the Middle Prong or Tremont, as locals called it. My score? 5 rainbows, 4 browns,
    2 brookies. Grand Slam??
    John Torchick

Another thing about Abrams, rainbows only. No browns or brookies there. If you want brookies, it is elevation you should seek.

I have gotten several grand slams but all on the NC side. IMHO, the NC side has better opportunities and I believe pressure is less on that side.

You may want to pick up a copy of Don Kirk's book, it has all of the streams in the park and has been around a long time. I still consult it on occasion.
    Last edited by JayR; 02-25-2021 at 10:52 AM.

Got Don's book about 25 years ago. Saw him at the 2018 FFing expo in Atlanta and got his autograph. Interesting and great detail. As to the park, so much water so little time. My two brookies were caught in the upper end of the MPLR. NC side doesn't have to deal with the Townsend and Gatlinburg folks. Park is very easily accessed from those two places. Need to try NC for a change and take my grandson with me. He had his first FFing trip last Sunday. No fish but had a great time and his casting was outstanding bu the end of the day.

BTW, how do I attach a photo? Clicked on the icon but required a URL which I don't have.
    John Torchick

The TN side is pretty one dimensional, i.e. Little River. Yes, way more traffic on this side. Other drainages that are more remote and get less traffic are on the other side, IMHO.

To post pics I believe you have to have a hosting site in order to do so.

Question

What is a hosting site?
    John Torchick

Imgur, photobucket, Flickr, drop box, etc. Google for others.