Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cicada Brood X

Default Cicada Brood X

Hope all in east TN are doing well. I am gonna try to sneak over next weekend in hopes of seeing some beaks coming up for the big bugs. I was lucky enough to spend 4 years around knoxville and have fished holston, S holston, and clinch a good number of times but I was hoping to pick everyone's brain about where they think the most ideal river would be to fish out of a drift boat, as well as a towee (with an outboard motor on it), in hopes of getting on this cicada bite.

Bonus points for lodging with close river access cause there ain't no sense in not skating some mice under the moonlight.

Will be a party of 6 dudes coming over, tent camping or renting a cabin would be viable. Access to quality water would be the most important factor.

Thanks again for any thoughts.

Sincerely, David Regan.

So far at least, the cicadas haven't really kicked in as far as hitting the rivers. That can change any day, but I have not seen them on the Holston nor heard of them yet on the Clinch. By next weekend, who knows? These little cold snaps we keep getting are not helping. IMHO, another couple of weeks would be better, but that's still a guess on my part.

As for drift boat fishing, keep an eye on the discharges from TVA. Do you have their app? Get it, it's free and a lot easier to access than using a computer.

Fished the Clinch today. There are absolutely no cicadas there, at least from Peach Orchard ramp to the Massengill bridge. No sounds of them either.

Fished the Holston today. Below Indian Cave and above Nance’s Ferry . No cicadas there or their music.
    Last edited by JayR; 05-16-2021 at 09:36 PM.

Come on out and play my fat winged friends!

Thanks for all the beta fellas.

They are in the area, just not on the water yet.

Several years ago, I saw one drop into the Hiwassee where I had picked up a 17 inch rainbow. The critter drifted out of sight and not one fish of any kind rose to take it.
    John Torchick

My house is loaded with cicadas, I can rake them out of my truck bed (just south of the river in downtown Knox). I donít know if the fish like them but the dogs sure do

Fellas, had a beaut of a weekend on the Watauga. Those cicadas are humming in the woods heavily, but not fly or dropping yet (as of Saturday). I bet soon, saw them flying around in knoxville on the way back home. We did have a couple cicada eaters, even without density of bugs on water. Gonna be wild when it happens, aggressive eats!

Haven't seen any here in Cleveland, TN.
    John Torchick