Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schoolhouse Gap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Schoolhouse Gap

Anyone fish the streams in this area? Especially off Meadow Branch?

I haven’t fished them, but knowing the area I would bet they’re very skinny. In the summer I would bet they get even skinnier.

Give it a shot, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks, thatís kinda what I was wondering, I had the map out and thought ďwow I never look on this sideĒ

So based on the Fisheries survey data, there’s no trout in meadow branch. Just FYI.

Is this in the park? Don Kirk's book doesn't mention Meadow Branch. Curious.
    John Torchick

Yes it is in the park.

I looked in Don's book as well, my sense is it is so small it wasn't worth mentioning.

Iíve always been looking for the hidden gem, but have discovered that so is everyone else. Weíre actually staying in Townsend a weekend in July so I was looking for a stream that might be close by.

The thing to remember about July is the high temps and low water that are very normal for this time of year. That being said, you most likely will need to fish the higher elevations. My best word of advice is to get as far off the beaten path as you can.

Thanks JayR thatís good advice

Middle Prong of Little River; go to the Y and turn right toward Cades Cove, take the road to the left toward the Tremont educational center. Actually, the first time I fished the MP, I started fishing about 100 yards up from the road. Hung a good fish and lost it. Must have been at least 6 lbs. I did get a Grand Slam there on up the river- 5 'bows. 4 browns, 2 brookies. All were caught on an Elk Hair Caddis. Get a park map and go to the end of the road, hike a bit to Sams Creek. "Guided" a boy from the TU Trout Camp a few years ago. He caught his limit and one boy caught a 9 inch brookie which is big for the park. Good fishing. There are other feeder streams leading into the MPLR.
    Adding- The visitors center in Townsend is a great resource for books on the area. The buildings on display down the road is worthwhile, too.
    John Torchick