Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schoolhouse Gap

Default Schoolhouse Gap

Anyone fish the streams in this area? Especially off Meadow Branch?

I haven’t fished them, but knowing the area I would bet they’re very skinny. In the summer I would bet they get even skinnier.

Give it a shot, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Thanks, that’s kinda what I was wondering, I had the map out and thought “wow I never look on this side”

So based on the Fisheries survey data, there’s no trout in meadow branch. Just FYI.

Is this in the park? Don Kirk's book doesn't mention Meadow Branch. Curious.
    John Torchick

Yes it is in the park.

I looked in Don's book as well, my sense is it is so small it wasn't worth mentioning.

There are a lot of gems in the park not mentioned in books. I’m just saying that based on the survey data by the fisheries folks, this one isn’t one of them. Also, no offense to dons book, it’s not the best source for off the beaten path info.

I would think that Don's book covers the main creeks, etc., in the park. I recall a fellow telling of another creek, Cole Creek, but again, it's not in the book or on a park map.
    John Torchick

You’re absolutely right about how Dons book (and most are)

Cole Creek is TINY, maybe a few trout where it feeds in, but it’s not much of anything, if it’s the same Cole Creek in the Cocke Co area of the park.

"There are a lot of gems in the park not mentioned in books. I’m just saying that based on the survey data by the fisheries folks, this one isn’t one of them. Also, no offense to dons book, it’s not the best source for off the beaten path info."

Very true and Don's book is dated. As I recall it came out originally in the late 70's and was pretty much the only book available at that time with GSMNP info. I wore my copy out reading it as a teenager. I still have a copy and consult it every now and then but there are some other books out there with many more of the lesser streams in them.