Thread: Plunge pools

Default Plunge pools

Iím sure this has been discussed here- but whatís the best way to fish these?

Walk softly as you approach the pool. Don't splash or send out pressure waves as you wade into position, stay out of the water if you can. Keep a low profile, use structure like trees and rocks to break up your profile. Look for fish holding around structure and seams before you make the first cast. Good sunglasses help you to see fish. Don't make your first cast all the way up into the pool. If you cast a fly line over a fish in the tail out of a pool it will often spook the entire pool. Trout are hard wired to be on the lookout for predators from above. Lots of times there will be fish from the tail out to the head of the pool. Start at the tail out and make each successive cast higher up in the pool.
    Last edited by flyman; 07-07-2021 at 12:43 AM. Reason: genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Thanks, I do have a habit of shooting for the best spot first I stead of picking my way through

I prefer to fish plunge pools from slightly upstream (be aware of your shadow).....

First cast tumbles in the middle of the falling water. Second cast on the edge of the falling water. 3rd in the moving water below the plunge, near the eddy line. 4th far side of the fast water below the plunge to catch the lower portion of the eddy line.

I prefer to approach from downstream whenever possible as typically trout face upstream. I recently wrote a 3 part series of articles, "Stealth on the Stream" in Angler Magazine. I'm a stickler for a stealth approach. Though not always necessary, I find I can use all the help I can muster.

To find the articles, go to coastalanglermag , then in the blue ribbon click on the magnifying glass and search "Stealth on the Stream". It will pull up all 3. Sorry, this board would not let me put up a direct link.

Jim Parks