Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Birthday Trout Unlimited 1959

Default Happy Birthday Trout Unlimited 1959

Happy Birthday to Trout Unlimited!
    "On this day in July 15th 1959 Trout Unlimited was founded in Grayling Michigan."
    If you have fished in a trout stream in the last 62 years there is an excellent chance a Trout Unlimited chapter
    has worked through conservation, dedication and volunteer hours and helped enhance that experience.
    Here's to 62 more years of trout fishing and thank you to our members for their work!
    Last edited by bigsur; 07-15-2021 at 02:46 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

Unfortunately locally and looking specifically at the Great Smoky Mountain and Clinch River chapters of TU they have failed miserably. 15 years ago a GSM meeting would be packed, great speakers and strong initiatives focused on conservation and our local fisheries. Now the meeting have a handful of people, and it’s a social club that has accomplished absolutely nothing in recent history.

the Clinch chapter also does basically nothing.

kids fishing days are great, but what about a single conservation initiative or **** raising with the clinch situation? And no trash clean ups don’t count given the current status of the river.

if either chapter did anything the Clinch wouldn’t be in the shape it is right now. Anyone who has fished it this year and is honest knows exactly what I’m talking about.

where is TU locally hammering Twra and tva for destroying a fishery?
    where is TU locally working with twra to implement more regs for the Holston river?

Local TU is more interested in having fly tying classes and social hour at Dead End BBQ then actually addressing what they’re supposed to address.

it all comes down to leadership. Back when local TU actually did what they were supposed to do, it had presidents who cared about our rivers and the future. That’s not the case any longer.

sure your signature has some cliche catch phrase but your actions are the antithesis of that statement

Bottom line is the organization is lost, especially locally. Wake up, look at the Clinch and ask yourself is TU doing one iota to address a really sad situation. The answer is NO!

I’m sure this will get deleted, but that won’t hide what is true. What once was a great TU chapter has been run into the ground, and therefore we lost a powerful voice to ensure our rivers were well taken care of. Nice job

I’m also confident you’ll ignore this post, like previously stated that won’t make the issue disappear
    Last edited by waterwolf; 07-16-2021 at 08:07 AM.

For the readers who are not familiar with the current state of the Clinch river trout fishery today, here is some background.

My own experience and that of many other very long term experienced Clinch fisherman is that the river currently appears to be drastically below its historic good trout population numbers. Alarmingly so.Guides who have been on the river daily for decades have stopped taking clients there because the guides have concluded there are too few fish to charge money to pursue. Some have had fishless days. Very experienced fly fisherman are also going fishless. More importantly these folks who know the river intimately are not even seeing trout in the river , particularly in the area below the interstate bridge all the way to Clinton.

Many old time posters on this forum who fished the Clinch many times week have deserted the river this year due to their own observed lack of trout .

I know of no action by any TU chapter to address the concern these fisherman are seeing. I know that one person has contacted TWRA and asked for a electrofishing survey of the river to determine the actual status of the river trout population. I know the same person has contacted TVA water management repeatedly about avoiding the 11 our minimum flow regime which was present throughout a lot of the spring and summer. Observers believe Such a drastic move off the historic 8 hour minimum has exposed much bottom fauna to being dried out, (the reducing trout food and fish growth) and the extreme low water pooling made the trout population much more vulnerable to all the aquatic and airborne predators that are targeting the trout. Stripers, otters, eagles, osprey , cormorants and the seven fish a day limit folk may have had a great spring perhaps, but the flyfishers have not.

Historic TWRA surveys showed good trout populations prior to this year. This year appears to be some sort of cataclysmic trout loss.. But apparently no one from TU has made any effort to address the questions. Thus the frustrations.

While many local TU projects are truly exemplary ( river clean ups, the youth Trout Camp, GSMNP fisheries work, kids fishing days) the issues on the tailwaters go ignored. Elephant in the closet in terms of resource issues IMO.

Wow I will respond once to this, you are wrong on so many levels impossible to respond in a few sentences.
    From cnservatiion cleanups to youth involvement at every age level including college level at the University of Tennessee, veteran groups.including Project Healing Waters. Women on the Water and Stream Girls the chapters are constantly involved. The TU license plate program you see everday on vehicles raises thousands of dollars to locally fund Grant's for the work we do. If inclusion of diverse groups offends, you may be locked into a past that no longer exists.
    I suggest instead of forming opinions from social posts you take the effort to get out of the house, off the internet and get involved. We welcome you to come out and actually roll up your sleeves and volunteer your time and energy.
    Last edited by bigsur; 07-16-2021 at 11:44 PM.
    "It starts with a raindrop, don't let it end with a teardrop!"

"Nothing straightens out my mind like a twisting mountain stream!"

Follow the Great Smoky Mountain Trout Unlimited website:

http://greatsmokymountain.tu.org/

FACEBOOK: http://m.facebook.com/GreatSmokyMountainTU/

"A true conservationist is someone who knows that the world is not given by their fathers, but borrowed from their children."

1. Cleanups, kids fishing days, women’s fishing events and all that are great. But none of those directly address the biggest threats facing our rivers.
    2. please show me where all this money you raise is being spent? I can’t think of a single river project that’s happening now or in the last 10 years. The last one was a project that was organized long before you even fly fished to repair some stretches of river bank on the Clinch. I’d be willing to bet you don’t even know about this project.
    3. before casting stones at me about getting involved you might want to have some knowledge of time I’ve spent on projects with TU. I was part of the first acid deposition crew in the park, used my drift boat to haul tires out of the river for years, electroshocked breeding rainbows out of the feeder streams to Clinch and worked everyday with TVA to raise rainbows from the eggs we collected which were released into the river, I could go on and on. TU stopped doing these projects and therefore it became pointless to continue to support a social club organization on a local level that does zero to address the issues facing our rivers.

TU’s entire mantra is to Preserve and Enhance the cold water fisheries. My question is what has the GSM or Clinch chapter done or is doing to meet that goal? The current state of the fishery shows the answer is ZERO.

Quite simply you and others have lost complete focus on what TU should be doing. As I said the stuff with kids etc is awesome, but there is no excuse for the Clinch to be in the shape it is right now, and there dang sure should be a loud voice from the GSM and Clinch chapters leading the charge. However, you are silent except for promoting bbq get togethers and fly tying shin digs.

having those events for kids, veterans, and women are fruitless in a river with a tragically low fish population.

Wolf with some truth bombs

As a lousy Millenial who’s only fished the clinch for about 8 years, I can’t recall seeing ANY TU attempts to improve the fishery aside from cleaning up trash. As previously stated the charitable efforts of taking kids and vets fishing is a fantastic endeavor. But DOESN'T fall under the category of conservation, preservation, and fishery improvements. Which IMO is what TU should be the front runner of. Which is why I am not and have not been a member.

The popularity of fly fishing has boomed in recent years. There should be no shortage of bodies and voices to speak up for and help the resource. Social media alone has either helped or hurt fly fishing, however you want to spin it. But nonetheless the exposure is there.

Improvements with minimum flow and 0 flow periods are what’s vital. Take care of the water situation and the river will do the rest. In a 2020 TWRA survey they finally claim there’s “substantial” natural reproduction in the clinch despite TVAs absolute squandering of water management. TWRA is milling around the idea of reducing the fingerling stocking for that reason.

Where’s the advertisement of that?

The fishing has declined and there’s no denying that. There’s a lot of directions to point fingers at. The only real shame is sitting back and accepting it.

It’s beyond time for local people and local organizations such as TU to carry their weight and get on their soapboxes and attempt to get the improvements the area need.

A buddy told me about this post, and I had to read it for myself. To say that the Clinch River chapter is doing its part to improve the Clinch is a laughable sentence!!! I am old enough to remember the projects mentioned above, the countless tires that have been removed from the river (the sulphur hatch hasn't been the same since the tire removal IMHO). The amount of things that 2 men did for the chapter Buzz Buffington and John Thurman were radicicols, the amount of foot work those two did, won't hold a light to what has been done in the few years. Shoot I remember john pulling me out of class to give me sample bottles and a stomach pump, and told me to fill them up.

I never was a member of TU nor did I care to be. I did however help the guys out with things,

As far as the Clinch I visit her a couple times a year, just to leave every time more disappointed then the time before. The amount of pressure it's getting ( thanks social media and message boards) the lack of flows, and the lack of support from TWRA are in my opinion has been the death of what once was my home away from home! Who knows the yuppies that frequent her will probably blame COVID.

John Reinhart’s silence shows there are no designs of making this chapter what it used to be, and only focus on a fly fishing cocktail hour club. It also shows he has no interest in joining the fight to address the Clinch in its current state. That’s sad, especially knowing most of the past presidents and how much work they did to improve our fisheries.

I perused their website and Facebook page and not a single example exists of a project aimed at improving any stream or river in this area. Where is all the money raised being spent? It **** sure isn’t being spent on projects to help preserve and enhance our fisheries.

“big sur” do you wish to give us examples or is it better to bring the national TU folks into this conversation?

The Clinch has gone off the cliff, and one of the primary groups tasked with helping this situation is silent in their words and their actions.

Reinhart may be without the internet right now so his "silence" is not necessarily an indication of anything.