Thread: Next Week

Default Next Week

I'm coming up Sat to stay for a week in Townsend. It's been over a year since I have been to the park fishing. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated like what flies are good right now mainly. I know I am going up Lynn Camp one day and Elmont on another day. Thanks!

Check water temp. Try to fish under 64 degrees, not only for health/safety of trout, but fishing will be better. Pray for rain... pray for rain WHILE you're fishing. My advice and tips.... dress in camo, since water is low and clear. Fish the white water, as it has more oxygen. I use nymphs. Favorite patterns now are Jim's Grampus, Guinea Fly, Greenie Weenie. If you wish to see the 1st 2 patterns and others I use in the GSMNP, go to my instagram page: TailsOfTheSmokies.

Jim Parks

I have plenty green weenies! Would Little River Outfitters have the other 2 patterns your talking about? Thanks for the info Jim

I fished up high today, did pretty well numbers wise. Typical set up - yellow neversink with pink weenie dropper. They were hitting dries today. The water temps were pretty good where I was and the water was up, probably from the rain yesterday, but elsewhere, based on my drive looked in need of water.

Agree with ND, Neversink caddis and green wennie are good ones. Throw in some yellow stimulators, couple Smoky Mt Candies, and a few Elk Hair Caddis. Terrestrials are a big part of trout's diet this time of yeas so I'd add some ants, hoppers, and beetles. Basic nymph patterns like PTs, Hare's Ear, Girdle Bugs, San Juan Worms, and Wooley Buggers always catch fish. No need to over think it, presentation is more important than the fly pattern this time of year.
    Last edited by flyman; 07-22-2021 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Genetics have been cruel to me
    "Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
    Salvador Dali

Smoky mountain candy is hard to beat. ��