Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smokies Report

Default Smokies Report

I was finally able to go fishing again! The water temps were warm enough that I just had to make a run up to the park today. I stopped at LRO to pick up a bunch of hooks and a few other things I've been needing and then drove up to Lynn Camp. My cousin was with me and we hiked up a little ways and started fishing. We both caught a fish relatively quickly and I figured we were in for a good day. When we started fishing, the water was right around 49 degrees and by 2:00 was up to 51!!! Plenty of the winter stoneflies were hatching along with the usual minuscule stuff and the fish started looking up. We saw fish rising by around 11:00 and finally switched to dries and started tearing 'em up. Best flies today were a #16 Thunderhead which was close enough size and color-wise to the little stoneflies and also a yellow EHC. My cousin caught his first trout on a dry (caught his first trout on the fly rod last October...) which made the day that much better. Best of all, it is January and warm enough to wade wet!!!

Here are a few of todays fish...

We took an extended lunch break on Middle Prong along the gravel road and just enjoyed sitting by the stream. This is something I should do more often as it really adds to the day, even if we did miss the last hour of peak surface activity. All in all it was an excellent day out fishing!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Default Re: Smokies Report

Sounds like a great day on the water!

When I walked outside these past few days here in Blount county, i just knew someone was going to have a great day of fishing..

Congrads and thanks for sharing the photos.

Greg
    Greg
    "There is no greater fan of fly-fishing than the worm." ~Patrick F. McManus~

You waded wet? You're a tougher man than I, but of course I have that thin bayou blood in me

PA,

Cool report... I love Lynn Camp. I always do really well there. Sorry I couldn't go, but I'm glad you guys had a good time. I'm going tomorrow, but I'm undecided where.

Kevin

Gotta love these reports on the Middle Prong/Lynn Camp....it's become the area I've sort of zeroed in on, because it's the closest to me, driving wise. I also think there's something to be said for specializing in a specific area, while occasionally mixing in other areas. That's how I fish down here; I usually launch my boat in a few areas, and get to know them pretty well.

Ijsouth, I know what you mean about specializing in certain streams/spots. There are streams and or sections of stream that I could walk and just about tell a story on every single hole or pocket. Once you spend a lot of time on a certain piece of water, you start to figure out which holes will have rising fish even in the dead of winter, which ones contain larger fish and exactly where they feed, etc...

Kevin, good luck on fishing tomorrow. Be sure and post a report!
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

Historically speaking, this is the coldest week of the year...and you're wet wading?? Thats awesome man. Looks like you had a great time. Nice pics and report.

Just ain't nuttin purdier than a mountain trout with a bushy dry fly in its mouth! Cept maybe 40 or 50 of um.

Simply awesome..
    DryFly1
    "Great things are done when men and mountains meet." William Blake

http://www.mtff.org/ (For general interest in the Middle Tennessee area)

man, I should have went today! had too much to do! I was up a lynn camp last week with kevin and I caught a few on a black EHC. man I can't wait for the warm weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Trevor

Plateau,

Glad you had a great day. When I saw you in the shop I knew you had picked the right day. Right now it's raining and cold. It's over now at least for a few days. This has been a crazy winter.

Byron