Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Rods

Talking Just for kicks...

Been following this thread with amused interest. I've often thought about saving up for a bamboo rod but it generally ends up pretty far down on my own personal priority list.

I came across an enlightening article on the web today that gets right to the heart of the issue. It'll take y'all a little bit of work to get to the article but it's worth it.

Bill Hall showed me Andy Kim's website the other day. For those who don't know, Andy Kim is a guide on the San Juan River in New Mexico. His website is pretty basic... meat and potatoes, but worth the little bit of time it takes to poke around the whole thing. In particular, y'all need to take a look at the article in the "Learn fly fishing" link. It's titled:

Tips for frugal fly-fishers,

and beginners who wish to become fully-equipped without having to pawn anything.

I'd love to post the whole article here but I'd probably be violating all kinds of copyright laws. So, for now, click on the link below, go to the "Learn fly fishing" link and be humbled. There's a pretty rainbow there, also.

Enjoy!! http://yongspecial.com

Gerry Romer

Quote Originally Posted by Bill (Hyter's buddy
    the answer to plastic....vs...wood is I like to eat icecream with either one....and thats all I got to say about that"
    HEHEHE. Mr. Joel, I like his way of thinking. How ya' doin, Mr. J?

Hey, thanks for the welcome guys. One thing I'd like to clarify though. I hope I didn't come across as meaning you can't find good bamboo for less than an arm and a leg, you can. The point I'd like to make is, you won't know what good is until you put that rod in your' hand and use it. One of the sweetest rods I've personally cast was a production rod. I sent it to a builder to get refinished, that was two years ago and I haven't heard from him since........such is life.

Even among the bamboo community, opinions are as variegated as any other. Some people actually detest Orvis cane. There's a saying " Orvis rods are built to last, not to cast". ......so what's good for one is not always good for another.

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone.

Muddy
    Last edited by muddy2u; 08-10-2007 at 12:11 PM.

Default Back to the original question

flyred06,

Don't overlook individual rod makers. They make some very incredible rods and sometimes at a price lower than the big companies. As for the big companies, I've generally only heard good things about the Orvis bamboo rods and the Winstons are highly sought after.

The bamboo rod I have was made by Walter Babb. It is absolutely beautiful.

Just like with graphite rods, bamboo rods have different sizes and actions from very slow to moderately fast. Also they come in different darknesses of the bamboo depending on the maker. They can vary from a vary like "blonde" or more natural color to a dark "flamed" rod.

Also just like with graphite rods, take the time to try some rods before you decide. You'll be amazed at the great variety out there. Be careful about Ebay though. Unless you know exactly what you are getting. Just because a rod is made out of bamboo doesn't necessarily mean that it is worth a fortune or anything at all.

I would definitely recommend trying to get a bamboo rod from one of the makers here in the Southeast. I've seen rods from quite a few and they are gorgeous. I also like the idea of having a rod that I know was crafted by hand by someone who cares and who I have met.

Daniel

Would hightly recommend that you talk with some of the individual rod makers out there and check out the classic fly rod forum on line. Wealth of information there. I hear that Walter Babb makes an excellent rod though I do not have one of his rods personally. I do know that AJ Thramer (can find his site on line) makes an outstanding rod at a very reasonable price and is a joy to deal with. He probably is the most prolific builder out there right now and has been doing it for about 25 years.

Default great stuff

Man this is great stuff. I imagine this is the kind of forum that LRO wanted when it was set up. I appreciate all the imput. And anytime I have a post and can get this kind of response hijack the **** out of it.

Many thanks

Default How's this for timely

So I'm flippin' thru a May/June copy of Fly Fish America ( a freebie magazine put out by Angling Publications of Conway, NH ), when I come across an article on bamboo rods written by Bill Battles... and there's a slight ( ) bias on the part of the writer. Nothing unusual there. What was unusual was the little sidebar box accompanying the article. It wasn't so little! It's page after page of bamboo rods sorted by manufacturer and price point.

So if anyone were, say, looking for a complete price list of bamboo rods by manufacturer, model, length, # of pieces, line weight, and msrp... well, they wouldn't have to go much further than this freebie mag!

If you can't find a copy at your local outfitter, let me know and I'll post their contact info here!

Oh, yeah. The article ain't too bad either!

Gerry Romer

Default Link to FFA

For all who are interested, here is a link to that June issue of FFA:

linky pdf

Default cane rods

I used bamboo rods in the early 70's.You could buy a bad one for 15.00.I used the bad one's.Soon,I made the leap to fiberglass.They were good.Then came graphite.They are great artificial,plastic rods,they cast real good....super smooth...I own a few,some are made in Montana,others in colorado.I don't use them much any more...because, when and if you ever get your hands on a good cane rod ,,you will realize,that graphite is,like kissing your sister....

Default Wood

Up until the 1830's, fly rods were made of wood, and we used horse hair for leaders. Let me tell you, once you've had one of those beauties in your hand, using bamboo or anything else is like kissing your dog.

During the time of Isaac Walton in the 17th century, they didn't really use reels, so they tied their horse hair to the end of the pole. Let me tell ya, once you've had the exquisite pleasure of flipping a fly out 12 feet in front of you (always downwind mind you), anything else is like kissing a grizzly bear.

And quite a while before that, that Native Americans were using hooks carved from bone. Let me tell you......

Default cane rods

I own a really super bamboo rod made by Walter Babb-It is a 5 wt 7'9" with 2 tips,one for nymphs and one for dry flies...you can't go wrong with one of Walter's rods,but don't be in too big a hurry because it may take a few months to get your rod--Wayne Meca makes a a good rod-he is in Montana--